Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
Hi, I have a crappy $25 /monthly plan off Rogers
My phone is unlocked ( I purposely did not enable EDGE to save me unwanted/accidental data fee)

For goggle map, does it uses any data transfer via carrier , it loads quickly and I assume it does not

Please someone let me know, I don't want a bill of $100 from looking on google map program...
Thanks,
Simon

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Google maps needs to be connected to the internet to load.

hobo

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2005
I've found that Google Maps caches some local maps, as I was able to load my hometown while not connected to WiFi or EDGE and show people streets and such.

Loading satellite views/driving directions, though, is another story.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
so if my edge is disabled
there should be no data fee occured if I can get goggle maps/ directions working

thanks
Simon

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Are you serious?
If you're not connected to WiFi and attempting to get maps/directions from Google Maps you will most certainly incur data fees.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Seriously do not browse google maps you will be charged heavily.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
crap....so even using goggle map when there is no edge/wifi will cost me money eh...
oh crap...thanks for letting me know

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
crap....so even using goggle map when there is no edge/wifi will cost me money eh...
oh crap...thanks for letting me know

If you don't have access to the internet through either WiFi, EDGE, GPRS etc then you can't download data so other than small locally stored maps you will not be able to use google maps. All the sat images, roads, place names, traffic info etc is NOT stored on your phone as you would need a hell of a lot of storage, it is kept on google servers so if you can't access google servers then it won't work. If you aren't using WiFi you will have to pay for this data. its as simple as that. you don't get something for nothing.

So no if you have no WiFi or EDGE or GPRS you will not have to pay as you will not be able to receive the information. simple as that

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
thanks...urgh ( nxt bill is going to be....)
is there any way to disable GPRS on the iphone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.