andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I installed Chrome and my battery life with minimal usage went from 6ish hours to 3...

I closed out and opened firefox, and it went back to the 6ish.

I calibrated my battery and retried again.... Chrome still decreased battery life a lot.

Weird? Anyway, I have since uninstalled Chrome.... wondering if anyone else noticed this?

LifeIsLaughter

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
That's strange.
Chrome so far has proven to be very fast and efficient for me. What plug-ins do you have installed? There is no reason that I know of that would explain why Firefox would be more power efficient.

hackeron

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Google chrome causes my macbook pro to turn on the nvidia GPU which drains the battery significantly faster than safari and firefox - so I tend to turn off chrome whenever I'm on battery :(

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I would like to bump this.

My 13" '09 MBP, with full charge, gets around 3hours 40mins when surfing the web with Chrome, at a little over medium brightness.

Safari, with the same conditions, lasts for 4 hours 50 minutes.

Any solutions, explanations, or tips?

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I dont have chrome on my mac anymore, but I really didn't have as good experience with chrome on the mac as I have on windows, its very buggy, I just couldn't stand the Expose glitch.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Wondering if I should reinstall...

I like Firefox, but I do think Chrome is a bit faster and lighter

dobirip

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
macbook pro 13inch late 2011

Yep, i just bought this mac and was mad about apple the battery runs out much faster then expected, never experienced any similar battery drain with my older 15inch macbook pro (didn't have chrome then). with chrome battery is around 3:30 hours, with safari 7:30. I guess thats due to my google sync etc and offline gmail but not worth it. recommendation don't use chrome at all on MacBooks (still use on iMac and love it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.