Does Google Drive / Google Docs work on PowerPC Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RamCpu, Jul 22, 2016.

1. RamCpu macrumors member

Hi, just wondering if on a G3+ w/tiger runs google drive / google docs at all, don't have a powerpc mac in front of me to test it so would really appreciate if someone could test it for me to see if it works, Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4, typing in Google Docs has a significant lag and maxes the CPU. The Google Drive site does work, but Google Docs does not function fluidly. I have heard that Microsoft Office Online does work fine as does the Office 2008 suite.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It works via TenFourFox ... but not well when I tried it on a G4 TiBook 667MHz.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I was going to say use a newer user agent to get Google Drive working in Safari/Webkit - however, having tested it, Google appear to have some way of forcing Safari back to it's default (and obsolete) user agent.....that's not very sporting is it?

5. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

what happens if you run it on the mobile site? http://docs.google.com/m

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That may be what killed my Google Play Music app in Fluid a year or so ago.

7. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

Will be way to slow on a G3, will run okay on a G4 but you'll have to be patient and use TenFourFox. It runs just fine on a G5 via TFF too. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it on a G3. I'd say use Microsoft Office 2008 (If it supports Tiger, if not 2004) or Libre Office.

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Nice! That works on the default user agent too - didn't even know there was a mobile version, makes sense I suppose.

9. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

so it runs without lag / problems ? also if you could take a screenshot / picture of the screen with it up it would help me alot

10. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

As it's loaded as a mobile site it's not as easy to navigate around but it appears to work - bear in mind I'm on my G5 iMac right now - I'd guess a G3 might struggle.

Picture 3.png

11. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Great! - I didn't think to give GoogleDrive a try yet, but after the discouraging blocking-message about the old browser, the second trial to load the mobile site drove me directly into my google-drive account.
    Performance is really good on PowerBook G4.
    Many Thanks for these hints!

12. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It does...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2016 ---
    Is the actual Google Docs editor working well on your G4? On my PowerBook, the mobile version of Google Drive works great but the editor itself continues to load in a desktop site that is quite laggy.

14. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking the tenfourfox / webkit would need a custom addon to force load the mobile site all the time?

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I tried changing the user agent to a mobile iPhone agent, specifically iOS 8.1 for iPhone. The Google Drive site loaded in a mobile form, but the Google Docs editor loaded as a regular desktop site. I do not know if Google even has a mobile editing site, especially since there are apps on the popular mobile platforms for editing Docs, Slides, and Sheets.

16. hellothere231 macrumors regular

Has anyone tried uploading to Google Drive from their mobile website? On my Powerbook G4 using Leopard Webkit, I couldn't find any option for it.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The mobile site lacks the file uploader, which is probably due to the fact that they have apps for mobile OSs to access Drive and Docs natively.