Does Google Play automate installation of old apps when moving to a new device?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ozaz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

When I switch to a new iOS device and select an old iCloud backup, the iOS device does not download all the apps I have ever installed from the App Store. Instead, it just downloads the apps I had installed at the moment of the selected backup and also helpfully sets up app folders exactly as they were on the old device.

Is this also what happens on Android when moving to a new device or is there a tedious process that you have to go through (like manually selecting the apps from a list of all apps you have ever downloaded from Google Play)?

2. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

For me it restores the apps as I had them last on my old device AFAIK.

It must make a note on all new apps installed/uninstall each time you do.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yep it incrementally takes a note of what apps you have currently installed. When you restore then - it loads up whatever apps you has installed according to its last index (assuming they are compatible with your new device).

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

It does but only if you want it too. During the setup of the new phone it will ask it you want to have Google backup and restore you apps and so forth. If you leave those 2 boxes checked then it will do that for you. If you do not want it to install the old apps from your last Android phone then un check the boxes.

5. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies.

So what happens if you have two old devices (say a phone and tablet). When you get a new phone, does it load all the apps currently installed (or installed at last snapshot) across both old devices, or do you get a option for the restore to be based on a specific device?

Does the restore also restore home screen shortcuts and folders?

----------

I've just bought an Android phone. I don't remember this during the setup (a couple of days ago so doesn't mean it didn't happen). But my last Android phone was in 2008 or 2009 so I guess the store system was completely different then.

How do I check that Google is backing my current app selection (or do I just assume it is happening)?

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

That is a great question! I honestly do not know where to go to get that info…..

7. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

I notice Settings>Accounts>Google>[Account Name] has a toggle for app data. I suppose that's the relevant setting for ensuring a there's a record of which apps are installed on the device.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep but I think thats settings /preferences maybe ?

When I had mu Nexus 7 2013 and set it up - it basically just copied the apps I had installed onto my S4.

When I replaced both my Nexus 7 2013 and S4 with a Note 3 - it copied /restored over apps from both devices - regardless of whether they were on the Nexus 7 or S4 to the Note 3 on setup.

So I don't think it differentiates between them at all - just to your account email.

9. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, ok thanks. That could get annoying I reckon. Hopefully they refine that to give some choice over which device's apps gets restored.

10. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm returning to this thread because I've just done my first Android to Android switch (excluding the phone I had when Android was introduced). I've just gone from a Moto G to a Galaxy S4.

On my Moto G, I've always had check boxes selected in "Settings>Backup & Reset". Namely the checkboxes to "backup my data" and "automatic restore".

When I setup the Galaxy S4, I logged into my Google account during setup and made sure that both backup & restore options were checked. Namely,

"Bring apps, settings, and other data to this phone that you previously backed up to your Google Account"

"Use your Google Account to backup your app settings (such as bookmarks and wifi passwords) and other data"

However, nothing got restored for me. I've had to go to Play Store, look at "My apps" list and work through the list selecting the ones to install on the new device.

This wouldn't be so bad if I was able to see a list of apps that were currently installed on my Moto G (i.e. the latest snapshot). But Play store (when viewed from my GS4) doesn't show that. It just shows the apps currently installed on my GS4 and another list showing all the apps I have ever installed from Google Play, including the ones I have deleted in the past. Furthermore, when I downloaded the apps it did not automatically recreate the home shortcut folders I had taken time to setup on my Moto G. I needed to do all this from scratch.

Coupled with lack of sms backup/restore through my google account, I have to say that the process of switching android phones is decidedly clunky when compared with switching between iPhones.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I swapped from a moto g to a new M8 and used the HTC transfer app and all transferred over, apps, messages everything. Samsung have a transfer app too don't they?

12. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't think of looking for that. But just looked now and, based on the description of the Play store, it seems like it doesn't help with apps:

"Content transfer options for Android to Galaxy includes contacts, calendar, S-Note(S-Memo), text messages, pictures, music, videos, documents, call log, wallpaper, lock screens, alarms, Story Album, Wi-Fi."

How does the app transfer on the HTC transfer app work?..... Does it actually copy the apps over from the old device or does it generate a list and automate the re-installation of these apps from the play store using this list? Did it maintain any home screen shortcuts & folder layouts you had on your Moto G?

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Sorry I can't remember was a 3 weeks ago I did it. I am only new to android I just know it all happened easily. I did have to re arrange the apps. There is others on here who should be able to answer.