Does GPS require data? Will it cost me if I don't have data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by omgwtfitsp, Oct 27, 2011.

1. omgwtfitsp macrumors newbie

So today I was getting ready to go out and got directions from A to B on my iPhone running off wifi. Then I noticed that when I went on the bus, I of course lost wifi connection, but the GPS thing was still working.

I could see the blue dot and it moves as the bus moves and the map is still loaded even though I had no connection on the bus. Now I'm wondering if this is gonna cost me.

It's weird because on my iPhone 4, I have disabled all cellular data. It does not say 3G only the bars. Wifi itself was also off when I was on the bus.

I was sooo shocked and surprised. So is this gonna cost me anything to have this running? I'm on the Bell network in Canada.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Probably. Google maps is not stored locally, so if it was working and still loading the map it was using a data connection to do so.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I don't think so because I am using an iPad 3g as a GPS device and it has a inactive AT&T sum in it. It works fine. So, it it cost something where AT&T will send their bill to?