Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
Hi all - apologies if this isnt the right place to post couldnt figure it out.

I currently have a 2007 Macbook and waiting for the new rMBP to come out before deciding on if to purchase a MBA or a rMBP.

I stream a lot of HD video via Flash (live tv channels, youtube, netflix) and at times my current macbook struggles (given the integrated intel graphics chip) however when streaming my CPU usage never maxes out - it stays at aprox 80%.

Q - if i upgrade will this improve performance even though currently CPU usage isnt being maxed out? I.e how much improvement will a much improved graphics chip make to streaming flash HD video if CPU usage doesnt seem to be maxed out currently?

Alekto

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Tokyo
Flash has supported hardware acceleration for a while, hasn't it? Yeah, probably it's utilising the graphics chip.

Interesting you mention the MacBook Air as a possible replacemenetfor your machine. That uses an Intel graphics chip, albiet a much better one. The upcoming MacBook Pros are also rumoured to use them.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I currently have a 2007 Macbook and waiting for the new rMBP to come out before deciding on if to purchase a MBA or a rMBP.

I stream a lot of HD video via Flash (live tv channels, youtube, netflix) and at times my current macbook struggles (given the integrated intel graphics chip) however when streaming my CPU usage never maxes out - it stays at aprox 80%.

Q - if i upgrade will this improve performance even though currently CPU usage isnt being maxed out? I.e how much improvement will a much improved graphics chip make to streaming flash HD video if CPU usage doesnt seem to be maxed out currently?

Overall it should, however in my understanding flash is built on broken dreams with a splash of satan's urine, so killing it with fire is probably your best option.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008

From personal experience it will be a huge improvement. I had very similar problems with flash with my previous 2007 white Macbook. After I upgraded last year to a 13 Macbook Pro (Intel hd 4000) I have absolutely no more problems with flash.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
The more recent Intel integrated GPUs are fast enough for all Flash. 2007 machines are just very old, I'm not surprised that they are almost maxxed out when running modern flash.

Btw, netflix is not Flash but MS Silverlight.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
The more recent Intel integrated GPUs are fast enough for all Flash. 2007 machines are just very old, I'm not surprised that they are almost maxxed out when running modern flash.

Btw, netflix is not Flash but MS Silverlight.

I thought they changed it to HTML 5 a while ago (or said they would).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.