Does GSkill RAM suck?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Nov 2, 2010.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I usually order my RAM from Crucial, but I saw on NewEgg that G.Skill had the ram I needed for around 130 compared to Crucial's 170ish. I went ahead and bought the ram from GSkill. I install it (8GB RAM) on my MacBook Pro and at first things looked up because it started fast but once I tried opening programs, they would crash left and right within 10 seconds. It got so bad that I couldn't really open anything up or else it would crash. Even something as small as pressing enter to respond to a instant message crashed Adium..It was pretty sad. So I wanted to know if GSkill is any good or if I just ran into some bad luck?

Also, I'm pretty experienced at installing RAM, its not that hard. I made sure I discharged of any static before installing. My MacBook Pro is less than a year old and has no hardware problems. All the crashing didn't start till I installed the ram. Now, I have the stock ram back in. I've already setup to have this RAM returned to newegg a.s.a.p, but I didn't know if I should re-order more ram from them or should I just drop business with GSkill all together?

Also, What are some for sure signs that the ram is defective?

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

i have them in two windows computers with no problems at all

3. binaryscene macrumors newbie

It works great

I have been running GSkill ram in my MBP for 4 years with no problems. Run the hardware test that is on your boot disk. If it comes up with errors, return the ram to Newegg for new ram. Even if you don't get any errors, you could return it to Newegg. They are always really good about returns.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I have their ram in a desktop I have and never had a problem yet so bad luck I would say although it be their brand does not play well with a Mac. Before you RMA you may want to give memtest a try just to confirm error(s).

http://www.memtest.org/

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

I normally stick with Crucial on pc builds myself. But I used 2x2GB ddr3 gskill for the past year and half in my mbp, and it hasn't let me down.

Probably defective. But I doubt they're both broken. Try booting with one in at a time, isolate your problem.

6. TJones macrumors regular

Bought some 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ from Newegg and they blew up after about a month. I think their failure rate seems higher than what should be normal.

I've purchased Crucial before and out of 4 purchases from them only one pair went bad after 6 months of running them with improper BIOS settings and Crucial replaced at their cost.

7. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i've got F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ in my 2009 mbp 13" but their desktop memory i wasnt impressed with a few years ago

8. smallnshort247, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

After reading your post I tried putting one in at a time. One worked fine and the other caused programs to crash and ultimately told my computer i needed to manually shut it down. I even went as far as adding one of the old stock ram along with the working new ram even though I shouldn't mix memory. I'll probably give G.Skill one more chance and repurchase it. If I run into problems a second time I'll for sure never go with them again. It just seems like enough of you guys have had good experiences that they aren't as bad as it seems.

9. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Sounds defective to me... I am no expert but I have been using 2x4GB G.Skill Sticks in my late 2009 MBP with no problems what so ever.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running 6gb of gskill ram on my hackintosh right now without problems (knocks on wood)