Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Does Apples support of h265 mean that iTunes in High Sierra will download videos in that codec also? I think it’d be great if we could fit more movies and tv shows on our laptops thanks to the 40% space savings.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Does Apples support of h265 mean that iTunes in High Sierra will download videos in that codec also? I think it’d be great if we could fit more movies and tv shows on our laptops thanks to the 40% space savings.

Pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they would need to convert their old videos. Or get a new version. They may do this, not sure. New videos likely will be h.265 though, and I think it paves the way for 4k videos on iTunes.

Porsupah

macrumors regular
With H.265 remaining quite a hefty task for systems without hardware decoding support, it’ll be interesting to see just how Apple phases the codec in. My guess is it may be their choice for 4K, leaving HD with H.264 for another few years, until a large majority of Macs and iDevices support HEVC in hardware. (That said, is there genuinely much public demand for 4K? Bear in mind this is the company that killed their 17” laptops, as they weren’t in sufficiently high demand)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.