Does handbrake use the GPU at all? I mean, not even a little...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleWorking, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

I'm afraid I might have caused damage to my 4870 card while running handbrake for hours and hours...

Could someone please check their GPU temp at idle, and then check it when running handbrake? The reason is because I want to see if handbrake puts any sort of load on the GPU at all. I can't do this because for some reason iStat Pro and Temperature Monitor cannot see the GPU temp nor GPU Fan Speed on the new MacPro's. Thanks, I would really appreciate this.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Handbrake is all CPU. You can see this running it in Windows with all the sensors working.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

handbrake is one program you can expect to take advantage of openCL!

4. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

Have you seen if the GPU temp and GPU fan speed rises in windows when handbrake is running? Or do the stats just look like the GPU is at idle?

Thanks for your help!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's definitely a big hope of mine as well given the specialized decoding/encoding hardware on GPUs in the past few years for h.264, etc.

Apple will hopefully finally catch up in that arena. I've been folding on my GPU since 2006. It's light years beyond even my quad and not as power intensive.

I took a screen shot just for you.

Attached Files:

6. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

WOW! Thank you! You're super helpful and super fast!!! Thanks again.