does having 3g on waste battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Aug 15, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I know 3g uses more battery when it is in use, such as internet and phone. But does having it on while not in use waste more battery than if I had edge on

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes. Because it is always trying to keep a connection. If you aren't using services like 3G, wifi, bluetooth, you should turn them off to conserve battery power.

3. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

While what jman is saying is true, I wouldn't worry about the idle usage of the 3G antenna. With 3G enabled, you will get 50 extra hours in standby than you would with the original 2G iPhone. People have never complained about standby time with either phone, it's the extra drain 3G needs when being used that causes issues.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I turn on 3G when I need to download something quickly or I'm impatient for a page to load. Otherwise, I keep it on EDGE. But for a side by side comparison of battery life with the same pages downloaded and viewed, 3G will use less battery (since it's much faster and only uses about 25% more battery than EDGE).

5. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Yea, using EDGE constantly will easily conserve battery life.

My point was that even with 3G enabled, your phone will last longer than a first generation iPhone when in it's idle state, so I wouldn't worry about the "extra pull" from the 3G antenna.

On the flip side, using EDGE all the time on a 3G equipped phone will results in an even higher idle time than both of the scenarios mentioned in the above paragraph.

Personally, I don't think the idle time should impact what mode you use, as you should be charging your phone overnight (it's good for the battery).

6. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I feel like whether I have 3G on or off my iPhone battery drains at the same pace. I also feel like Edge and 3G load some things in the same time.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's probably true in NYC. :)

Having 3G on and not doing anything (as a poster said above) would drain the battey at the same pace. EDGE and 3G would load things in the same time if the 3G signal is pretty bad compared to EDGE.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Remember, if you're using applications that need data, when on EDGE your incoming calls go to voicemail. And if you're on a phone call using EDGE, you can't go to speakerphone and use other applications that need data.

For both of those reasons I always use 3G, even if it does take more power.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hmmm...you say remember like it's a known fact, but this is a new one on me. I could've sworn I've been surfing on EDGE and have got calls, but I'll pay attention to this from now on. As far as being on a phone call in EDGE, I always go to speaker phone on EDGE, so that confuses me that you said that. Unless the "and" is important and using other applications and the speakerphone was what you were saying. I've never tried to use another application in a call.

10. firewood macrumors 604

If you have a strong 3G signal, then they might use about the same power. If you have a strong Edge signal, but a very weak 3G signal, then the phone will burn a lot more power trying to keep its standby connection alive with the nearest 3G cell tower.

I think a lot of the earlier reports of bad 3G battery life were really just because 3G coverage wasn't and still isn't as good in many places.

11. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

I use wifi almost exclusively, so I turn off 3G unless I absolutely need it.