Does having a solid colour background make the computer faster?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Oct 22, 2011.

1. simsaladimbamba

It uses less RAM, but depending on the amount of RAM you have, you might not notice it.

Maybe you should compile all your questions into one thread, rather than creating multiple threads with one question each.

2. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I have 8gb ram with ram heatsinks on them!

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

The heatsinks on your RAM doesn't help at all speeding up your Mac. Unless you are overclocking that you need heat spreader or heat sinks on your RAM.

The background RAM usage depends on your screen size and resolution, the bigger your screen and the higher your resolution result to more data that should be written and drawn by the gfx card.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

With 8GB of RAM you don't need to worry about the small amount that is used up by having a image as your background.

5. thorns macrumors member

Selecting an adequately sized wallpaper was of concern about 10-15 years ago.

6. MacHamster68, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

to demonstrate a example
    this picture here if used as a background (choosen randomly from google )
    http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2008/10/gigabyte-shows-bit-tech-its-final-x58s/Gigabyte-X58-UD5P.jpg
    resolution is 2061 × 1734 and is just using 1.18 mb and that's vram of your dedicated graphics card and there unless you would have a graphics card with only 4 mb vram that amount is nothing to worry about ,
    but as you got if i am not mistaken a PowerMac G5 (the amount of 8GB ram is suggesting that) you got at least 64mb vram ,so just ~ 1/64th of your vram is used to display that picture on the screen .

so your 8GB RAM are not effected at all unless you would have a shared memory graphic's card which you definitely dont have in a PowerMac

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I guess you need those heatsinks for all the spoon feeding requests you make. I say you need heatsinks on top of your heatsinks.

My desktop is much faster when I sprinkle the dust of dead threads you have made on them.

8. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Good idea! Is this possible? I will have to try this! First great post you have ever made!

Thank you Zen!:)

9. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

That made my morning.

10. thorns macrumors member

This is not how it works. In 2D, the VRAM used for displaying an image on the output device (frame buffer) is determined by the resolution and the color depth of the output, not by the actual file size.

11. MacHamster68, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

so? are you sure ? then take this image as background to fill your desktop complete

http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/images/productimgs/40/22163.jpg

and then this one here
    http://img.club.pchome.net/upload/club/other/2006/7/7/Sukhio_1152207598.jpg

and how clear you see the image is determined by the file size and actual size of the picture ( the bigger the picture the bigger its file size and the more vram the file is using )

now just use after each picture how the ram usage is changing once its a background picture

12. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Or 15-20 ^_-

13. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

If you want to speed up youtube playback, you need an Intel-Mac that supports a flash version higher than 10.1

No hardware added to your PowerMac will make it faster for flash playback! There are workarounds (discussed on the forum like Mactube or altering the settings in safari).

What speed limitations to you experience in what scenarios? Or was this more a theoretical question?

It will help an old Mac (like a first Gen. Mac Mini G4 using Logic studio pro for 8track recording) to keep the desktop free from aliases and file icons, this came to my mind in connection with your question, though.