Does having auto brightness off hurt your battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Mar 21, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Seems since I went to 50% with auto brightness off battery life is going quick. 74% with 1 hour 15 minutes usage and 10 hours standby

2. junkiepilot macrumors newbie

Quote from iPhone Manual:

"Screen brightness affects battery life. Dim the screen to extend the time before you
    need to recharge iPhone, or use Auto-Brightness.
    Adjust the screen brightness: Choose Brightness and drag the slider.
    Set whether iPhone adjusts screen brightness automatically: Choose Brightness
    and turn Auto-Brightness on or off. If Auto-Brightness is on, iPhone adjusts the screen
    brightness for current light conditions using the built-in ambient light sensor."

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I turn off auto-brightness. Not to save the battery, it just bugs me when the screen goes dim or bright on its own. I prefer a single setting.

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

My current settings are

50-55% brightness

Auto brightness off

30% battery life

3 hours, 56 minutes usage

1 day, 10 hours standby

is this normal? would i be getting more battery life if the auto brightness was on?

5. gouda272 macrumors regular

I keep my brightness down to about 25-35%. I am jailbroken and have an app that turns the quicklaunch volume control into a brightness control so if I'm outside and need to increase the brightness it is very quick and easy to do so. I bet if you were to drop your brightness down you would get much better battery life.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are yes you would. The amount of power it takes for auto brightness to run is next to nothing.
    If the sensor is what I believe it is then it is nothing more than a resistor that decrease resistant with light. Those were used in some kids toys in the 60's so clearly they have to of gotten cheaper since then.
    That being side Apple Auto brightness controls are pretty poor compared to others and even the others are not that good.

7. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Can't comment specifically on condition/age of your battery however other settings affect how long the iPhone holds a charge: Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, Fetch/Push calendar, contact and email data.

12 Tips to Extend iPhone Battery Life

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Well this is mine..

What are you doing during your 3 hours and 56 minutes? A lot of streaming and games? Or is that just normal usage?

Attached Files: