Does having data roaming on effect battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

My 3g service is not great and I need to probably turn data roaming on or something to make the Internet go faster would turning this on effect my phones battery life.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Possibly yes, possibly no. It's not as black and white as you're making it out to be. Turn it on and see. Your specific situation plays a major role and we know nothing about your circumstances (coverage with your carrier, coverage with your carrier's roaming partners, etc).

Poor coverage definitely affects (not effects) your battery life.

3. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Oh thanks I'm using sprint and am getting bad 3g speeds so I figured maybe turning on data roaming would help am I right or wrong.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, it won't use more battery. It just means your phone is allowed to use towers that Sprint doesn't own but has agreements with the owners to rent bandwidth from.

In theory it may even help the battery if it turns out that you're often closer to one of those towers than an official Sprint tower and your phone is currently bypassing the 'easy' tower to reach the official one that's further away.

5. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I don't worry much aboutbthe battery life in this situation. I worry about you phone bill!

6. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

I believe roaming is free on sprint.