Does Having More RAM in a phone like iPhone cause less battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I know with hard disk space in a phone, its negligible impact on battery life, just more storage. Is it the same with RAM? Or is there a battery life cost associated with having more of it?

2. TSloper74 macrumors member

Yes there is a cost to adding more RAM.

3. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

But the added drain is hardly worth mentioning.

4. Camoxide macrumors regular

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It could also save battery life. My iPad mini (512MB) and iPhone 4S(512MB) constantly have to reload apps/webpages while multitasking. More Ram will use more power during standby and Apps reloading will also use more power.

I don't think anyone on this forum could definitively say which scenario will be more detrimental. Power aside more ram would increase user experience for heavier users, and increase performance with future versions of iOS. If the iPad air 2/Mini 2, get 2 GB of ram it will be easier to speculate how the iPhone 6 would have benefited with more ram.

6. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Apple would love this to be true. Apple is just being cheap greedy corporate Sharks by half assing the ram and acting like there doing us a favor .

7. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Yeah, I thought RAM was supposed to help, but then Apple's omission and that multiprocessing vs android video got me wondering... but I think your right, Apple is just "keeping some cards in hand" again just to get us to upgrade to the 6S... sigh :(

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd love to see your source for this because I've yet to see any actual information on this subject and am honestly quite curious.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Here's the info I've uncovered about RAM and power usage:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11..._iphone_4s_motivated_by_battery_life_concerns

Apparently, there are some developers, not even affiliated with Apple, who think that more RAM = more battery drain.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

RAM uses power continuously. Each memory cell has to be periodically refreshed, which wastes energy. At the same process size, 2GB of RAM will use twice as much energy as 1GB.

This usage is full time. Even when the screen is off and the phone sleeps, RAM is being refreshed. Thus over a day or so between charges, memory is one of the largest power consumers in the phone.

So yes, having more RAM would reduce battery life. Probably not by very much, but it's a VERY critical load since it's a continuous one, unlike other loads (CPU, screen) that consume almost no power during sleep.

12. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

13. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

This is for desktop/laptop memory
    https://www.denali.com/en/whitepaper/2009/lpddr2/lpddr_marc_greenberg_article.pdf

More practically, Android devices with 2/3gb ram are still in the same ballpark in battery life when compared to similar devices with less ram