Does HDD cloner copy current partitions.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by schulmaster, Oct 17, 2010.

1. schulmaster macrumors member

I'm thinking about straight up replacing the HDD in my Mac Pro. If I put the new drive in slot two, use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner, will the boot camp partition and my two OSs be the exact same on the new drive?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to partition the new drive and then use CCC to clone OS X partition and WinClone to clone your Boot Camp partition

3. schulmaster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot, and just to confirm, after these respective clonings, I can move the new drive to Slot 1, and boot both OSs, with all my data and settings?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, after the partitioning and cloning, you should be able to boot from them. No need to move the drive to slot 1 either

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FYI, winclone is dead, the developer's site as been down for some time and macupdate's download link is dead because of that

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder :) Here is a working download link, the app still works fine

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder what happened to the developer, the app is good, but as time goes on, w/o an update, it could be less relevant

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And has there be an equal replacement yet? Maybe the developer got busy with other projects or was snatched away by MS for his/her ability to write Mac OS X software.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IIRC the first time he "retired" it it was due to family time conflicts and he felt he didn't have the time to support it and was overwhelmed with the demands for support for something he was essentially giving away for free.

It's actually fairly simple to re-implement since it was mostly wrappers around standard utilities. The only part that seems to have been unique was gptrefresh, but gptsync is an alternative in rEFIt.

B

10. schulmaster thread starter macrumors member

So I'm now running WinClone, imaging my Windows 7 partition to my new HDD.
    Does anything need to be done with the image, such us decompression, before I take out my old drive, or will the machine boot into Windows after the image is installed, and the old HDD is removed?

Thanks.

PS-sorry for so many questions, but I don't really get HDDs at all

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Old partition -> Winclone image -> New partition.

Winclone usually does everything you need, unless you are shrinking the size of the NTFS partition. In which case, it always recommended shrinking the image before you restore it.

In some cases if it doesn't boot, you may have to boot the W7 install DVD and let it do a "startup repair".

B

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, there is no equal replacement and winclone does work. I'm merely pointing out as apple updates its OS, and winclone continues to age without updates, the risk of running the program increases.