Does heat increase with screen size?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Awsed127, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Awsed127 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking to buy an iMac. Could you guys tell me for an i5 processor, would a 27 inch iMac generate more or less heat than a 21 inch iMac?

I live in a small place and want to know. Thanks!

2. Macalaka macrumors newbie

I have the 27" 2010 Imac i5 Quad Core and on cold winter days, that puppy keeps the room toasty warm..lol
    They do get hot at times depending on what you are doing. The heat on my 27" is warm when I have Photoshop, Xcode, a Virtual Machine, and some encoding going on.
    Cannot speak to the smaller 21". My guess its still pretty warm if you are doing more than just browsing the internet.

3. hhaydenn macrumors regular

Your place would have to be pretty small to really notice any heat. I have two 27" iMacs in my bedroom and I do not feel any heat what so ever.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Of course it will generate more heat. It's a larger screen with more pixels to push and more real estate to keep lit up.

Any 27" iMac will generate more heat than any 21.5" simply because of the screen alone, however the processor in the base 27" uses the same wattage as the 21.5" so it shouldn't generate that much more. The i5 and i7 in the top end 27" on the hand is rated about 30 watts more than any other mac so it will definitely run hotter.

5. Awsed127 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your responses!

Icaras, pardon my ignorance, but could you please tell me what a base 27 inch is? Is that another name for an i3? Is a high end 27 inch an i5 or i7?

Otherwise how do you differentiate what is a base or high end model?

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh, no worries. I'm speaking strictly between the 4 current models being sold right now by Apple. See here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select?mco=MjIwNTQyNjE

Each size has two standard configurations: a base model (cheaper and lower specs) and a higher end model (priced higher with higher specs), totaling to 4 stand configuration models as you see. The top end 27", or the most expensive one in the line up, uses a hotter processor than the rest.

If you're talking about an i3 processor, that's not this generation (they all start at i5s, if you see from the link). So for previous generations, I don't know or can't remember from the top of my head what type of wattage the processors run at in each model. But that said, the same idea still applies: every bigger screen iMac will always run hotter than the smaller screened iMacs, simply because of the screen size.

Hope that helps. :)

7. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Shouldn't both models be at least on the same heat level, as the 27" has more Aluminium to conduct away heat?
    Wouldn't really worry about the heat - rather think of the brilliant, sexy 27" display :cool:

8. Awsed127 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Icaras, you've been a big help. I bought the 21 inch 2.7 i5 model the other day and while it gives off some heat it is not that bad.

I do have another question though that you might be able to help me with. I am trying to increase the standard fonts of the mac without messing with the resolution. Even though I have only had the mac a short time I have found that it causes me to have bad headaches and eye strain and I am hoping changing the font size in general (not just with some applications) will help?

If you have any other ideas to prevent headaches and eye strain that would be great as well. Thanks again :)

9. Distinction05 macrumors newbie

Hmmm I would say cooler

To be honest I can not see any reason why it would create more heat. Yes there are more pixels and yes you do need more light to push through but Apple only use LED light. LED's dont generate heat. I would be more inclined to say that the bigger the computer the more room the computer has and would be better at dissipating the heat ...

10. G-Force macrumors 6502a

The 27" can become really warm. In fact, it can generate enough heat resulting in the lcd panel retaining "ghost" images.

My 27" is in repair right now for this exact issue. The technician told me that because of the 27" panel and the higher end graphics, a lot more heat is generated which can result in image persistence.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you have a higher end graphics card, it will certainly generate more heat. That and the processor will be the main sources of heat generation.

12. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Yes, if you check the specs, the 27" uses more electricity, and therefore will generate more heat.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

14. Awsed127 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies!

So based on your information really the base 27 inch which has the same processor as the high end 21 inch would only give off a little more heat even though the processor is the same because it is larger and has more real estate?