Does high temperatures and high fan RPMs shorten the lifespan?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by luffytubby, May 3, 2015.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I own a late 2013 2,6 GHz 750m rMBP and have some concerns about temperatures under bootcamp.

I have installed the great Macs Fan Control app on my bootcamp partition, and I observed temperatures as I went about doing different things.
    If left to its own devices readings show that CPU Core 1 temperatures jump to 90 degrees before the fan kicks in. That is insane.
    I was playing Guild Wars 2 a older game from 2012 (though very CPU dependant) and it rose to 95 degrees. Those temperatures are alarming.

They stay very high when working with adobe apps. So I've set it to try and mimmick the fan profile of OSX. In OSX I have never seen it the computer go above 80 degrees no matter if I was gaming or what not. But 95 degrees within 30 seconds of loading up a older game is dangerously close to Tjunction max of 100 degrees.

So, forcing the fans to run at these higher RPMs... does that kill the fans in the computer prematurely? I understand that if you set them to run at 6000 RPMs forever, that would probably kill them, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong by telling Macs Fan Control to say that 80 degrees should be its max and basically run at 6000 until it gets it down.

In idle it hovers around 50 as that is what I have said as normal. Its not audible, it feels cool, GPU at 48-50, so that is fine.

Temperatures have always been a problem on laptops for me in the past, so I am always weary. I don't game that much on laptop, but its also getting to the 90-95 when doing after effects and such.

Someone told me that the Macbook gets optimal airflow if you open the screen at a certain % to allow the maximum air to ventilate. Is that true?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I just let my system run as is. Without any special considerations. The only considerations I would consider is that the laptop is not sitting in a place where vents are blocked or in a sealed enclosure. Beyond that, let the fans run wild.