Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Yes, I'm still using Aperture on my 2015 27" iMac , currently Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) is playing fine with Aperture.

Does anyone know if HighSerria break's Aperture or does it play nice with it?

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
As with other recent system updates, you might find Aperture can't access or use the most recent raw conversions for some new cameras.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
This is really encouraging! I have been holding at 10.9.5 for Aperture stability reasons. I need to upgrade to at least 10.10 to accommodate other software upgrades. Any system upgrade tips for those still running A3?

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
This is really encouraging! I have been holding at 10.9.5 for Aperture stability reasons. I need to upgrade to at least 10.10 to accommodate other software upgrades. Any system upgrade tips for those still running A3?

Just get a time machine backup done. Then go for it... Then if it fails, restore back to your time machine point pre upgrade.

Lots of time watching progress bars but you will be fine.

Reactions: mlblacy

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

Past time to pick your Aperture replacement and migrate to it. You have pleaty of choices at Adobe, Phase One, On1, Alien Skin, and early next year....Macphun/Skylum.

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
Past time to pick your Aperture replacement and migrate to it. You have pleaty of choices at Adobe, Phase One, On1, Alien Skin, and early next year....Macphun/Skylum.

I've never understood anyone saying this. If it does what is required, why upgrade? I built a website on iWeb the other day. Why? Because it was fine for the job and super simple, and I know how to use it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I've never understood anyone saying this. If it does what is required, why upgrade? I built a website on iWeb the other day. Why? Because it was fine for the job and super simple, and I know how to use it.

Probably because we will see the slew of forum post about Apple fully breaking Aperture with their new OS and Apple is evil and mean for doing so. I mean it has only been several years since they stopped supporting it and selling it, not to mention several OS's ago. But if it still works for you and you are fine with it, by all means. But I would imagine the poster is trying to give the person a warning of sorts that the software application you are using will at some point in the very near future probably not work anymore and you will be left with nothing.

Maybe moving to another program so that you are not in a rush or bind to do so while the application for the mean time is still working is something you might want to do.

If it still works now, great!

Reactions: robgendreau

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Just get a time machine backup done. Then go for it... Then if it fails, restore back to your time machine point pre upgrade. Lots of time watching progress bars but you will be fine.

Running a new TM backup and then a new vault update is easily a week long affair (seriously). Just need to pick a time when I can spare the machine power of that long. I need to bump up at least to 10.10 for some other software upgrades anyhow. Bad news for any Aperture holdouts thinking that Luminar's DAM is going to be what it was promised to be. As of now, they are not working on an import function for A3 users, it will be Lightroom. The thought of doing two library imports just to jump into a 1.0 DAM seems a bit bonkers. I would probably hold my nose and just switch over to Adobe Lightroom. Most of my post work runs through external editors anyhow.

I really wish Photos would add filter extensibility and let you create custom albums and rankings. My issue is that we have a library of over 100k photos, and the library itself is huge in file size.

Anyhow, at the first chance I will do a fresh TM backup on a new drive, followed by an update to the vault (and maybe a manual library copy too). Thanks!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Main reason is that the apps that are not updated in the system are one day going to stop working as they may use deprecated library functions or some such thing. Also, security vulnerabilities in applications that are no longer security patched is an issue (minor risk but a risk none the less).

Reactions: mlblacy

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
It's often a lot easier simply booting off a clone that does support discontinued apps than going through the effort of selecting and learning new apps.

With today's cost of ssd's and cheap usb3 enclosures, it's a pretty cost effective approach depending on what one thinks their time is worth. With respect to abandoning Aperture, it took me 2 years of messing with an array of then available editing, DAM and combined apps (now 3 or 4 more available). Time well spent, no. Did I gain anything, nothing of substance. Would I do it again, NO?

Some will suggest recent discontinued versions of OSX won't run on new hardware. Certainly not my experience. Or a new OS is required for new cameras. Not everyone trades-in perfectly good bodies every year or two. Or, tiffs with today's cpu's and storage costs are no longer "difficult".

Each of us decides what's best for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foogoofish

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
It's often a lot easier simply booting off a clone that does support discontinued apps than going through the effort of selecting and learning new apps.

With today's cost of ssd's and cheap usb3 enclosures, it's a pretty cost effective approach depending on what one thinks their time is worth. With respect to abandoning Aperture, it took me 2 years of messing with an array of then available editing, DAM and combined apps (now 3 or 4 more available). Time well spent, no. Did I gain anything, nothing of substance. Would I do it again, NO?

Some will suggest recent discontinued versions of OSX won't run on new hardware. Certainly not my experience. Or a new OS is required for new cameras. Not everyone trades-in perfectly good bodies every year or two. Or, tiffs with today's cpu's and storage costs are no longer "difficult".

Each of us decides what's best for them.

This is SUCH a good idea. I am actually forwarding this to someone now. What an age we live in where there's a possibility of doing this for a decent price! ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
For me Aperture works great on High Sierra. I always check if Aperture runs fine before upgrading the OS. The day an OS update breaks Aperture is the day I stop upgrading for a while. I even think about getting a Mac mini just for running Aperture.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can see the wisdom in sticking with Aperture, and I disagree about the plethora of options.

Right now, in 2017, the alternatives to Aperture are Lightroom, and Capture 1. Any other application omits significant functionality that Aperture has, even after all these years.

I rue the day that I decided to leave Aperture, I said stuff along the lines that the writing is on the wall, and I needed to jump ship now before its too late, yet here I am looking to find an alternative to Lightroom because of Adobe's pricing and behavior, not really doing much with bugs/enhancements to LR, other then focusing on the mobile market.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Precisely what does Aperture have that is a significant advantage over the alternatives? Surely it is not the use of a managed library.

Alternatives to Aperture:
  • Photos plus extensions
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Capture One Pro 11
  • Photo RAW 2018
  • ACDSee Photo Studio
  • Corel Aftershot Pro
  • Alienskin Exposure X3
  • Luminar (when they release the DAM)
  • Picktorial (when they release the DAM)

then there are the bits and pieces that can be strung together like DxO plus Photo Mechanic....etc.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/lightroom-alternatives/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.