HomePod Does HomePod work in Canada?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by MartyCan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. MartyCan macrumors 68000

MartyCan

I know we can’t buy them here yet but many of us travel to the US. I’m going next week. I’m considering buying one there and bringing it home but I’m wondering if Apple might not let it activate in Canada. Has anyone out there tried it yet?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Nimoy macrumors regular

Nimoy

It works fine with one very small caveat: in order for Siri to access messages, reminders, and notes, its language needs to be set to to American English on your iPhone.

4. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 68000

MartyCan

Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll pick one up next week for sure. 2 if I think I can fit them both in my carry-on luggage!

5. MisterGrinch macrumors newbie

I drove across the border this past long weekend and bought one and had it setup back here in Canada in about 5 minutes. Super easy to get going and works pretty flawlessly. Wasn’t the primary reason for the trip but since in the US, why not? :)

Was able to do a purchase and reserve in-store last week for a local Grand Forks, ND Best Buy through BB dot com and very glad I did as the store ended up getting sold out this weekend in my preferred colour. Would have been terrible to make the drive to get OOS. I am assuming a few other Canadians came down and sold them out.

6. jyyz macrumors regular

The only thing that doesn't work after changing the Siri language to English American is asking Siri to tell you news. Everything else seems to work just fine.

7. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 68000

MartyCan

I can put up with that until they actually release in Canada. Picking one up here in Dallas on Fri.

8. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

The odd request to Siri will result the "I can't do that in your country" error but that's about it.

9. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 68000

MartyCan

Oh my gosh! This thing sounds great! Just got home from Dallas and set up in minutes! Controlling our Hue lights already too.

10. jyyz macrumors regular

Did you get one, or two?

11. donster28, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

donster28 macrumors 68000

I know, right? I do not understand the hate on this thing from others. It is a marvel of engineering and Siri (yes that Siri) on it makes the experience even more amazing!

I crossed the border to get one too and will get another when it comes out here. By that time, stereo pairing should be out.

12. lawhochun macrumors member

I am using the Homepod in Hong Kong so I am sure it works in Canada!