does hooking up TC to my old router slow up the wireless network ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fahadeen, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Fahadeen macrumors newbie

if you add time capsule which is N wireless capable of 100 Mbps to your existing G network which has a max of 50 Mbps, would the speed be of time capsule's or the old router ? ( the old router is the main router hooked to the internet and TC is just added to the network ).

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The wireless network only operates as fast as the slowest device connected to it.

TEG

3. Fahadeen thread starter macrumors newbie

What if the case was the opposite, TC is the main router, and the old router is just an access point. my MBP will use TC's network. would that still slow it down ?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Why not just replace your old router? Time Capsule can handle wireless fine.

As for speed, if you have 802.11n computers, that's the speed that Time Capsule will work in.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I second that, use the TC as your router and dump the G, because if they end up on the same wireless network, you will be limited to G speeds.

TEG

6. Fahadeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a good point, but I have an xbox 360 and from what I am reading in these forums, it does not recognize the N network. and I want my xbox hooked up wirelessly

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Time Capsule is works fine with 802.11g devices. The Xbox 360 should connect fine.

8. chinarider macrumors regular

In Tandem?

Couldn't the OP hook his existing 'G' box up to one of the ports on the TC and run 'G' with a different SSID?

I will need to do something similar as my TIVOs all run on 'G'.

9. chinarider macrumors regular

But doesnt running the TC in mixed mode take bandwidth away from the "n" side?

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, it will probably degrade the speed of 802.11n devices connected to it. However, based on what I've been reading from Fahadeen, it seems he/she only has 802.11g devices anyway.

11. Fahadeen thread starter macrumors newbie

I have MBP and xbox 360. I wana use maximum speed of the N with my MBP, and still have my xbox 360 which is not N compatible, connected wirelessly :(

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

You have two options:

1. Use a 802.11g access point as a bridge to your network and use your 802.11g devices with this. 802.11n devices can continue to connect to the Time Capsule.

2. Get an ethernet to 802.11n adaptor to use with your Xbox 360.

13. Fahadeen thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what I thought, but somebody ( ithink the 2nd post ) said the whole network would be as fast as the slowest router. I'm not sure which is true. I guess I'm gona have to try it

14. bkarre macrumors newbie

Does option 1 mean to hook the 802.11g router up to the Time Capsule and run two networks?

This is the only thing keeping me from placing an order for a Time Capsule....

15. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Time Capsule contains an 802.11/g/n router
    and each device authorized to use the router will operate at ITS maximum speed. So G devices talk to TC at G speed.. N devices talk at N speed.

Time Capsule does NOT slow down all communications to the slowest device it sees. It "routes" communication packets in the fastest most effieicent manner dependent on the "other" device.

16. RatSalad macrumors member

Here is my question. My setup is this CABLE->TC-> Air Extreme -> DLink router. It is all connected via ethernet thruogh the house. I have a computer and sirus now going wireless to the dlink at g speed and the MBP wireless to the apple products. Will this cause all of the units to go to g speeds?

17. bkarre macrumors newbie

So you're saying that even if I use a 802.11g router to connect my Xbox 360 wirelessly still, I can achieve 802.11n speeds when using my MBP?

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you are using TC only and you have an Xbox running on "G" and a new Mac running on "N" TC will send the appropriate packs to each device at the maximum speed they are capable of receiving.
    So the Mac will receive "N" speeds and the Xbox will receive "G" speeds.

The problem is when you have 2 routers say, TC and an Airport Express. TC runs on "N" and Airport Express runs on "G" if you bridge these two routers for extended range TC's "N" speeds will throttle down to the slowest router on the network and that would be the Airport Express.

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Perhaps the Time Capsule is different, but I've read reviews of other routers where having mixed b/g/n causes performance hits.

20. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I've set mine up like this.

I have powerline ethernet adapters from my BT Home hub the the other powerline with TC plugged into it at my desk. I have left the Home Hub network as it is for all the 'g' devices and have set my TC up as an 'n' only wireless network. This means only 'n' devices (my MBP) can access TC. A network all to myself ;)

21. RealEvil macrumors 6502

There seems to be a lot of contradictory reports in this thread.

1. Can anyone confirm that a G device on a N network does indeed slow down the N connections too?
    2. The TC setup appears to offer a solution for this, and even mentions G devices like iPhones - it suggests maintaing 2 networks effectively (a N and a G), perhaps via differet subnets?

22. paragonj macrumors member

I don't have my TC yet, but I think I know enough to comment....

Hook it up like this (---> indicates ethernet cable)....

Modem ---> Time Capsule ----> G Router

Set TC to N only mode at 5 GHz.

Turn off DHCP on the G router.

Give them different SSIDs.

You will get full N speeds on TC and all your legacy b/g devices can connect to the second router, but since DHCP is turned off on the second router, it is all running on one unified network administered by the Time Capsule, and all devices can talk to each other fine. There is no other way to run a mixed b/g/n network without taking a performance hit on the N devices.

23. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm confused or mistaken.

But I have a modem/wireless router (All in one) for the Fios network in my home. I run an ethernet cable all the way to another end of our house, where I have an Airport extreme set up.

If I have a ethernet cable going directly to the router, won't I be able to have wireless N speeds on the airport?

24. rand() macrumors regular

Lots of confusion here...

Hey, all!

First, yes, connecting a b/g device on an n network will slow the network somewhat. But only when that device is active - if your 360 is off & not downloading updates or anything, the network will be running full speed ahead.

It does not, however, slow completely to the speed of that slowest device, even when that device is active. So, your macbook will get full N speed when the Xbox is inactive, and get fairly close to N speed even when the 360 is active.

If you're very worried, you can easily run both, with different SSID's, as others have suggested. Then you divide the network into an N network, and a B/G network. Connect the two base stations via ethernet, and you're good to go. So long as only N devices connect to the N base station, and all others connect through the B/G station, the speeds will be preserved.

Ethernet devices will not interfere with the speed of the local network at all. The slowdown when an older B/G device is connected is only a factor of the radio chipsets being used for multiple standards. Since ethernet will not be using the radio at all, all your wired devices will get full speed, even if you've got an ancient B device on your wireless.

Know also that unless you've got a 100Mbit Internet connection, you won't see a difference for most things. The only exception would be local file transfers (re: backups to TC), and possibly streaming media on your local network. Anything online is going to be easily capped by the bandwidth you get from your provider; most US Internet connections have yet to beat even 802.11b.

And to the guy with FIOS - I hate you. :)

Hopefully that helps a bit.

-rand()

25. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Hahahaha... newly installed this past weekend. We'll be getting our HD boxes soon (They ran out I guess.....) so we'll finally be able to check out the HD signal.

As far as internet goes though.... I'm still waiting on my MBP to arrive before I can even test it. (My powerbook died in a rainstorm... so now I'm computerless).