Does hot spot wifi negate the need for 3G in Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scottyfrombi, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

If I get an iPhone 4 or 5 and have AT&T service with mobile hot spot add on to the iPhone, is there any reason to purchase a iPad 2 with 3G or do I just need the iPad 2 without 3G and just use the iPhone when there is no wifi available from conventional means such as at the beach or a park for example?

Thanks

2. tgcken macrumors member

depends on how often you'll need wireless internet outside of wifi hotspots.

While your iphone is a hotspot its draining battery, so if you're going to use the data heavily you might just want to get the 3G model. The degree to which this is an issue I'm not really sure, although the iphone is only supposed to get what 5 hours of constant internet usage anyways, right?

If you're at the park you'll probably only be there for a few hours, right? How much wifi are you going to need? Tethering would probably be sufficient for that. If you travel a lot for business, though, you're probably going to need that iPhone battery.

3. samwise macrumors regular

Whether it would affect you, I don't know, but the Wi-Fi only version also loses the GPS receiver (only available with 3G models). You'd still have the location finder that uses the Wi-Fi signal, I think, but it isn't very accurate.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For me at least, it would also involve dropping my unlimited data on my iPhone
    If you don't have unlimited data, then it might not be an issue for you

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I tether my iPad 2 to my iPhone via Bluetooth. It works great, but then most of the time I have Wifi around me, so I'm not a heavy user.

If I were a heavy business traveler I'd probably get the 3G one just for convenience and not draining my phone battery. But for casual traveling or doing some web surfing to pass the time while waiting for a Dr. appointment? Tethering rocks.

6. Khazetul macrumors newbie

This isn't true as far as I know. I have the wifi only version and have full gps services.

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

What's cheaper? Adding tethering to your dataplan or adding a 3G iPad?

8. Khazetul macrumors newbie

Just realized I'm getting my gps from my hotspot feature on my phone. I guess it doesn't have standalone gps. My bad.