Does i5/i7 make ANY diff. in youtube playbook against core 2 duo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by theturtle, Feb 21, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Made title too long -____-

but thats the question. found a awesome deal for a 1.86 air. Looking to use the machine for 1080p youtube to cinema display playback. nothing else. is there really a difference b/w a c2d vs i5/i7?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Not if you're just viewing 1080p video from youtube. If you are creating 1080P that's a different thing. Also consider that an older Processor will lack support faster the core 2 duo series is fairly old now.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Strictly Youtube/Hulu/Netflix streamining. No video editing/exporting or photo editing etc. Just streaming.

So there isn't any positive benefits in having a sandy bridge in streaming full screen and then also to the ACD?

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

streaming from those sources requires a GPU that can do 1080P and bandwidth to support the source fille. A core 2 duo and core i series CPU will support 1080p video. I would check to see if the specific macbook air you are looking to purchase is able to output to the Apple cinema display.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

When Mountain Lion is released, the AirPlay feature is expected to take advantage of the QuickSync technology built into the Sandy Bridge chips. That may help offload some of the processor load to the GPU, and the feature may require having a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge-equipped Mac.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the processor won't bring any benefits to the table when it comes to streaming? For example, would it make 1080p full screen streaming smoother? Could I have more Windows open like chrome, ichat, etc while streaming and still have a smooth playback with the i5?

I know the benefits of the i5/i7 is GREAT when it comes to encoding/editing but for normal things, is the benefits (if there is some) worth the extra money?

----------

Well ML's airplay requires a ATV so I probably won't ever use that.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Bokes macrumors 6502

I'm considering an i7 for video editing.
    I tested 1080p video in Avid on a MacAir with media on the system drive no less- and played and scrubbed like hot butter. I had No issue splicing and moving. I had a PIP and some on screen text and not a single hiccup.

I edit interviews, events, sizzle reels, etc. most for Web delivery.
    I figure I'll get an i7 and add a Thunderbolt drive.
    And my bread and butter needs will be meet.

GL

10. anirudh macrumors 6502

That was one of my main concerns while deciding between the 2010 Ultimate and 2011 Base 13". There are a few thread here where users report stuttering 1080p video playback on external displays. I decided not to take a chance, and just get the 2011 model.

11. 2IS macrumors 68030