Does iCal do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by knux11, Sep 19, 2008.

1. knux11 macrumors regular

I'm trying to see if i can sync an iCal calendar between two macs. Not an event, and entire calendar. I'd prefer to keep the whole thing sync'd so if changes are made to either, they both reflect it. If that's not possible, I'd like to be able to send an entire calendar to a mac user. When i say sync a calendar, i don't mean everything in iCal. I mean one of the 4 different calendars i currently have on it. Is this possible?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The major option for bidirectional syncing (meaning the calendar can be edited on either computer and the changes are reflected in iCal) is to use MobileMe, unless you're lucky and you have a Leopard Server. MobileMe provides you exactly what you're looking for.

I think there may be some slightly kludgey options for cheaper / free bidirectional sync. Here's one review of some of those options. There's a service called Plaxo that I think is still free that might be good also (link)

In terms of unidirectional sync, meaning one device has a read-only copy of the calendar, this can be done for free. You just publish the calendar to a site like icalexchange.com on the read/write / master computer and then you subscribe to it on the read-only / slave computer.

Another free option that may be non-ideal is to host the calendar on Google. Then both computers would have read-only / slave copies, but you can edit the calendar from any computer using the Google web interface.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

With MobileMe you can sync iCal between two or more computers, or Publish a calendar which others can then subscribe to. ...If you have one available this option also allows for the use of a private server.

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I cannot look it up right now, but wasn't there a way to use a Google calendar to do this?

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I was about to say the same - must be possible to do it this way for free

6. knux11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. No way i'm paying 100/yr for this though with mobileme. Not to mention i had to wipe my iphone twice just to get my iphone working right after trying to use mobileme (which didn't work at all)earlier. Looks like plaxo will do it, have to wait till i get home to test it, but FREE is the best type of app.

7. numlock macrumors 68000

8. knux11 thread starter macrumors regular

well i tried plaxo, didn't like it and uninstalled it.
    for anyone that sees it, free ical exchange (freeicalx.com) does exactly what i was looking for, no nonsense, a quick register screen that doesn't ask you for too much info, and they email you links to publish/subscribe automatically within ical. real easy, from google to done in 5 minutes.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the info on freeicalx.com. Might give it a try.

I currently use MobileMe to sync between a bunch of computers and my Touch. Working better than before.

10. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

You could make a backup file when you make a change, put it on a USB drive, then load it to the other computer.