Does iCal refresh subscribed calendars when syncing to iPod?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gabedamien, May 2, 2008.

1. gabedamien macrumors member

gabedamien

Hi all,

I just set iCal to subscribe (with hourly refreshes) to my Google Calendars, so that I can sync them to my iPod.

HOWEVER, if I don't actually *use* iCal (i.e., I never open it), will the subscribed calendars automatically refresh anytime I sync to my iPod? I cannot directly test this myself for a few days.

If not, I really don't want to manually open iCal and hit refresh every time I sync my iPod. Clever alternatives are very welcome, such as if there could be a way to automatically trigger an Applescript to refresh the calendars every time I ran the sync.

Thanks in advance,
    -G

2. gabedamien thread starter macrumors member

gabedamien

Well, nobody seems to be interested, but here was my solution. I wrote an applescript that opens iCal, forces a refresh through the command-shift-R system keypress (note the applescript library "reload" command does not refresh subscribed web calendars), waits 5 seconds to be sure, quits, and sends a Growl notification.

Here it is:

3. msf84 macrumors newbie

Thank you

Wow, i've been searching the past 2 hours for a hack to force an instant refresh on ical subscriptions.

As I'm not with my mac right now I'll post in a few days if it worked...

For now I'm just stoked that I found a way to solve the problem!

Thanks!

EDIT: I can now confirm that it worked - thx again!