Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Is there any difference between what iCloud and ITunes backs up?

Do they both back up apps, notes, and contacts, etc?

Thank you

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No difference. Just depends if you want it in the cloud or on your computer.

Also note that you can do both. You can only set one method to be automatic but then you can go in and make it do a backup the other way from time to time too.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
this post was relevant before iOS 8 came out. its mostly wrong now.
====

iCloud backup only backs up what apple considers important. like for example
phone numbers ( contacts) , emails, notes, text messages, calendar.
off the top of my head, iTunes backs up more stuff, like for example pictures and videos that you took with the camera.

if you want for apple to save every single picture forever you have to pay for more iCloud space. and turn on iCloud photo stream

iOS 8
====
i guess iCloud backs up everything, if your willing to pay for the iCloud storage

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
there is nothing stopping you from doing both.

u can still backup to iTunes manually , and set iCloud backup to automatic.

or visa versa

----------

Relevant to the thread: :) Does iCloud backup passwords like an encrypted iTunes backup?

an unencrypted backup only restores passwords to the same device
an encrypted backup wil restore passwords to a different device

ummm

iCloud has iCloud keychain!

app passwords. like netflix . i don't know. i never tried it with anything else but iTunes

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
off the top of my head, iTunes backs up more stuff, like for example pictures and videos that you took with the camera.
FWIW, iCloud backup does backup all photos and videos in your camera roll. It won't backup photos that were taken elsewhere and sync'ed to your iPhone from your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519

Relevant to the thread: :) Does iCloud backup passwords like an encrypted iTunes backup?
All of the iCloud restores I've done (to the same device) put the passwords back.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
FWIW, iCloud backup does backup all photos and videos in your camera roll. It won't backup photos that were taken elsewhere and sync'ed to your iPhone from your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519

All of the iCloud restores I've done (to the same device) put the passwords back.

yeah i bet it does , but you have to pay for the storage.

id rather backup to iTunes instead of paying 99 cents or 3.99 a month or more

Attachments

• not enogh space.jpg
    not enogh space.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
yeah i bet it does , but you have to pay for the storage.
FWIW, I backup my iPhone to iCloud and still have 2.8GB of free space (on iCloud).

But I also plug my phone into my Mac every few weeks and sync it with Aperture, which lets me delete photos/videos from the iPhone Camera Roll that were already imported via Photostream.

This greatly reduces the size of my iCloud backup (since my Camera Roll rarely gets over 1GB), but still allows me to have many GB of pictures/videos on my iPhone (Synced from iTunes Library).

Attachments

• IMG_2108.PNG
    IMG_2108.PNG
    113.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2110.PNG
    IMG_2110.PNG
    64.6 KB · Views: 61

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
my stats
last backup failed
additional 1.5 gb needed
backups 34mb

docs and data 21mb
mail 1.4gb

photo library 3.6 gb
synced 12gb
photo stream 627mb
shared 1.9mb

videos 8 gb (synced)

i have no clue why i need 1.5 more gigs.

i would like to stress that "photo stream" is just temporary storage. if you delete anything on your phone
and you rely on photo stream, you will lose your pictures.

pay the money to upgrade storage and switch to iCloud photo stream if you do not do regular iTunes backups

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Is there any difference between what iCloud and ITunes backs up?

Do they both back up apps, notes, and contacts, etc?

Thank you

I always backup to iCloud, but if I know I'm returning/exchanging a device, I backup to iTunes because it also backs up all your apps (i.e. copies them over). iCloud backs up *what* apps you have installed, but when you restore your device, the apps are downloaded from the app store rather than copied over from iTunes (transferring from iTunes to device is faster than downloading).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Same backup, but I'm thinking of moving to an iTunes backup. It takes a long time and hammers my home WiFi to try and restore all my apps and data from an iCloud backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.