Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
No. That wouldn't really make sense, would it?

Thats what I thought but it looks like it does?

I have moved all my pictures and videos from my iPhone to my MacBook Air and then uploaded it all to iCloud. I got all the space back on my iPhone when I moved it from the iPhone to the Mac but when the transfer to iCloud Drive was done all the space went away again. So it seems like it does take up space on the iPhone also like on the Mac.

I was hoping to use this to free up space on my iPhone and still being able to see all my pictures and videos from my iPhone.

What do you all think, am I doing something wrong?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Thats what I thought but it looks like it does?

I have moved all my pictures and videos from my iPhone to my MacBook Air and then uploaded it all to iCloud. I got all the space back on my iPhone when I moved it from the iPhone to the Mac but when the transfer to iCloud Drive was done all the space went away again. So it seems like it does take up space on the iPhone also like on the Mac.

I was hoping to use this to free up space on my iPhone and still being able to see all my pictures and videos from my iPhone.

What do you all think, am I doing something wrong?
Why on Earth are you using iCloud Drive to store photos in?

Use iCloud Photo Library with Optimise Storage turned on to save space.

iCloud Drive does not download locally onto iOS devices. All files are downloaded on demand.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Why on Earth are you using iCloud Drive to store photos in?

Use iCloud Photo Library with Optimise Storage turned on to save space.

iCloud Drive does not download locally onto iOS devices. All files are downloaded on demand.

I wanted to use iCloud Drive to save space on my iPhone but the same space is taken no matter what app I use so I just might as well turn on Optimise Storage and live with that ;)

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
I think you're confusing iCloud Drive with iCloud Photo Library.

Nope, I know the difference.

My plan was to upload all my photos and videos to iCloud Drive from the iPhone and then delete the photos and videos in the iPhone Photos app so that I would have all my photos and videos in iCloud Drive instead of iCloud Photo Lib. and then view them from the iCloud Drive app.

But the photos and videos I put into iCloud Drive also fills up my iPhone as soon as I look at them (think they are downloaded to the iPhone) just like when using iCloud Photo Lib. so it makes no difference what I use other than with iCloud Photo Lib. I can use the Optimized setting to save space on my iPhone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
somewhat related. I use icloud drive for file storage on my mac. Say I got a new mac, would I still have those files once logged into icloud?

I guess the confusion is b.c icloud drive actually stores files in the cloud? and icloud photo library pushes the same files to all of your devices?

basically am I correct with saying, icloud drive is real cloud storage and icloud photo library is just a way to share the same files across all devices.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
somewhat related. I use icloud drive for file storage on my mac. Say I got a new mac, would I still have those files once logged into icloud?

I guess the confusion is b.c icloud drive actually stores files in the cloud? and icloud photo library pushes the same files to all of your devices?

basically am I correct with saying, icloud drive is real cloud storage and icloud photo library is just a way to share the same files across all devices.

No, they are both "real cloud storage". The OP created a problem where none existed. He should have simply used iCloud Photo Library for his photos, with Optimize Storage enabled on the iPhone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, they are both "real cloud storage". The OP created a problem where none existed. He should have simply used iCloud Photo Library for his photos, with Optimize Storage enabled on the iPhone.

I guess what I mean about not "real cloud storage" is that you cannot delete a photo from your phone and have it stay in icloud photo library. a/k/a it does not work like dropbox.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Correct. Yet, with Optimize available, why would you need/want to do that?

If you wanted to save space on your device. For example, with drop box you can have it upload your photos/videos and then delete it from your device once it is in the cloud. If you deleted it from your device with icloud photo library, it would also delete it from the cloud.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
If you wanted to save space on your device. For example, with drop box you can have it upload your photos/videos and then delete it from your device once it is in the cloud. If you deleted it from your device with icloud photo library, it would also delete it from the cloud.

Yeah, but with Optimize it's a 97.5% reduction in storage use on the phone. People here have tested it. So you're not really saving that much trying to eliminate 2.5% of your library size, and you're majorly inconveniencing yourself using another storage solution compared to what Apple offers, IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, but with Optimize it's a 97.5% reduction in storage use on the phone. People here have tested it. So you're not really saving that much trying to eliminate 2.5% of your library size, and you're majorly inconveniencing yourself using another storage solution compared to what Apple offers, IMO.

I use it and like it, but 4K video takes up a ton of space. I highly doubt it is optimizing those videos by 97%

Agaton Eriksson

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
No. That wouldn't really make sense, would it?
Well, it does for me. Yesterday when I turned of my phone, only the files application took up space (45mb), and now this morning 1.5Gb.
[doublepost=1534401177][/doublepost]
I use iCloud to upload my photos and videos to save up space. I don’t use the iCloud photo library, I just copy them over, and then I can delete them on my device.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well, it does for me. Yesterday when I turned of my phone, only the files application took up space (45mb), and now this morning 1.5Gb.
[doublepost=1534401177][/doublepost]
I use iCloud to upload my photos and videos to save up space. I don’t use the iCloud photo library, I just copy them over, and then I can delete them on my device.

You mean iCloud Drive? That also pushes all of those documents to all of your devices. Granted, after a certain period of inactivity they are just stored in the cloud to save space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.