Does (iCloud/Mavericks) generating password feature actually work with iOS apps?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by OverSpun, May 25, 2014.

1. OverSpun, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'm obviously running Mavericks and iOS7.

Example: I reset my ebay password on my laptop with the "suggest" generating password and done with it.

-I have iCloud Keychain enabled on my iPhone but I can't tell why the iCloud passwords would fill my apps i.e. the eBay app since nobody would ever be able to remember the generating passwords that Mavericks makes.

Let me know if I'm missing something unless the iCloud Keychain is a complete failure for apps unless you only use Safari since that's the only way that I've made it work.

TIA

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Keychains are for safari not apps.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Some googling proved that "some" 3rd party apps are compatible with icloud passwords unless I'm doing it wrong. It's definitely inconvenient with ios apps.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I'm not sure there's any iCloud Keychain API...

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

This is one of the reasons why I went with a password manager like 1Password. iCloud Keychain is great, but if you want to suggest a password outside of Safari it's useless.

6. whsbuss, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yep sure is. I don't think Apple will ever let 3rd party apps access to the keychain. 1Password is a great solution but their 1Browser sucks.

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

From Apple support documents

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5813

So it just depends on the app. I tried this with my bank's app but they don't have it set up. I hope more devs use it in the future.

Better yet, if Apple allows, to work like Find My iPhone or Friends. If the device is locked with Touch ID/pin code/password, then you can just enter the app. If no lock is in place, then they have to sign in to access the app.

8. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I have never come across a single native app on either iOS or OS X that uses iCloud Keychain. And I use a lot of apps!

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Maybe it's like when iCloud first launched, Apple was real mum on details and devs had to rely on one another to get the coding right. I'm not a dev so I can't say.

10. impaler macrumors 6502

Apple provides a way for developers to add iCloud keychain support to their apps, but it is up to the developer to implement. I'm not aware of many that do.

11. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

It's interesting.... I saw the FAQ page you posted earlier and it definitely says that developers can access iCloud keychain from 3rd party apps-- but I can find NO documentation regarding this in the developer resource documents.

12. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

IIRC, iOS8 may integrate iCloud Keychain with apps that was implied at WWDC. That would be very convenient because it's tiresome to change/remember passwords so often these days.

13. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I found documentation about third party apps accessing Touch ID in iOS 8, but that wouldn't help on older devices. But maybe that's the method by which third party support is being added.