Does iMac play anamorphic dvd?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TofSanity, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i have been having trouble with encoding with hb, getting the picture size right. so, i just put a dvd into a pc, two dvd players and my new iMac. all but the iMac played the dvd in anamorphic. on the apple i tried vlc, front row, anydvd and idvd all of them filled the screen. anything i can do? remember i am new to mac

2. simsaladimbamba

With VLC player you can cycle through different aspect ratios by pressing the "A" key. I don't know about DVD Player though.

What DVD do you have a problem with and what settings (Picture Settings) did you use in Handbrake?

3. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

cool...

ok i really like my videos to be the way they are meant to be seen, as in widescreen. i am starting to think this is not possible. up to now i have been ripping my dvds to iso, but now i have a mac and an atv which doesn't allow me to view iso. i am using the presets for atv for the dvd american gangster. i am so new to this that i am sure i drive people crazy....

4. randomerratum macrumors 6502

the iMac should play it properly if it's properly flagged for 16:9 playback. You may need to change this somehow. DVDAfterEdit can change the 16:9 flag... a little advanced and I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head but I think it's fairly simple.

What are you using to burn? Are you authoring the disc yourself?

5. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i am not burning to a disc. i am using handbrake.

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Might try using avidemux instead. One of the things I don't like about handbrake is its resize filter is rather screwy and limited.

7. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

lol i tried that one...i could never figure out of it actually worked. i will dig into it to figure it out

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

It's pretty straightforward if you ask me, and much more flexible than handbrake.

If you need any help with it, ask me.

9. randomerratum macrumors 6502

OH! You're creating a file then... You're getting a 4:3 image (everybody's tall and skinny) in your resulting file right? Make sure it's set to rip the image to a 16x9 resolution... something like 854 x 480... that ought to force it to resize the image to the proper aspect ratio using square pixels.

10. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

ok...i think i have finally figured it all out, well maybe. it seems itunes and qt play the video at the true aspect of dvd and not what i am used to seeing on a tv screen?? with letter boxing and such on something at 1.85:1