Does importing music to Itunes off of your HD double the space? Please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 13, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

When I first got my mac, I put all of my music from my old windows pc onto my jump drive. After that, I dragged and dropped my music folder to my mac desktop.
    After that, I imported the entire folder to my itunes library- did it duplicate each file? I'm pretty sure I had more HD space available.

Thanks,

Josh

2. thederby macrumors regular

the default configuration of itunes is to copy the files in to your music folder.

3. mawiseman macrumors newbie

Hi Josh.

I thought exactly the same thing.

When you imported your music iTunes will have made a copy of each song in the music\iTunes folder.

Think of it like when you say in windows "i want iTunes to manage my Library".

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks.
    So I should delete my desktop icon, then? Since Itunes has their own copy? I just took 17 GB's of music and doubled it! WOW.

5. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Would it be wise to delete my old copies of my music and just keep the newly copied versions in iTunes? (I use itunes anyway) Or is there any flaws with doing this?

Thanks.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Easiest way to make sure that the music is in the right location would be to simply right click on one and say "Reveal in Finder" then, if the location is in the iTunes folder, you can delete the other set of songs.

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

iTunes>Preferences>Advanced. Check to see if the "iTunes Music Folder Location" is listed as the "Desktop".

If it is, then do not delete your files on the desktop.
    If it is on the Users/Music folder, then delete the files on the desktop.