Does increasing system memory have negative effects?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickZac, Jan 23, 2011.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've noticed that when I went from 4 to 8 GB (standard factory 4GB RAM to 8GB Crucial) on my 13 inch MBP (5,5 C2D, late 2009, SSD) that it 'hangs' and that when I am typing fast that the text appears much slower than when I type it. This happens more once the system has been put into and out of sleep numerous times without restart. Even internet browsing has a slight delay after a few days without a restart. Any idea why this is? Performance wise, benchmarks show no real difference between 4GB and 8GB, so I don't understand why it would develop a delay that it has never had before:confused:

Furthermore, are there any software actions that should be done when upgrading RAM (system resets or any action different than physically installing the RAM into the computer)?????

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The only reason your system should be any slower is if the Crucial RAM somehow isn't as fast, or as compatible with your system, as the stock RAM. Doubling up won't make your machine slower, other things being equal.

No software changes or settings should be required; just pop in the new chips and go.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Activity Monitor to verify the system recognizes all your new RAM. Also check the RAM usage, specifically Page Outs. You shouldn't have any with the workload you described. Upgrading RAM should improve performance, if anything. It certainly shouldn't slow things down. If you weren't maxing out your RAM capability with 4GB, it's likely you won't notice a performance bump with 8GB, but it shouldn't have any negative effect, unless the RAM is defective or not properly installed.

4. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

It recognizes them but I will try re-installing it. Page outs are 0...I would almost max the 4GB but now with 8GB, around 4GB+ of RAM stays free. I was on the fence mem wise...4GB was a lil short and 8 was shooting a pineapple with a bazooka.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So what you're saying is now you have pineapple juice in your MBP! Sorry, AppleCare won't cover that! :D

6. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

Damn. I knew I should have stuck with grapefruit :(