Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
The title says it all. Am I right in interpreting that if someone who already has DP4 in place were to install the beta on top of it, they would stop getting more-or-less automated future DP upgrades using Software Update?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple has two tracks, the developer preview track and the public beta. The public beta (if history repeats itself) will have less updates and builds then the DP. I'd say stay on the DP as you'll get newer builds faster

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
By the way, impervious to all reminders that no betas had appeared so far until yesterday, several die-hard sophists insisted that, since Developer Previews were not the final product, they should be termed betas and blah, blah, blah. That, way, said "geniuses" called DP1 "beta 1" and DP4 "beta 4".

I suppose they won't be highly impressed by the fact that Apple themselves call what became available yesterday "OS X Yosemite Beta 1." They can always say they are right and Apple is wrong.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
The title says it all. Am I right in interpreting that if someone who already has DP4 in place were to install the beta on top of it, they would stop getting more-or-less automated future DP upgrades using Software Update?

Great question! Won't know until DP5/PB2. Although it's interesting to wonder if installing a DP5 delta over PB1 would work. I wouldn't see why not…

By the way, impervious to all reminders that no betas had appeared so far until yesterday, several die-hard sophists insisted that, since Developer Previews were not the final product, they should be termed betas and blah, blah, blah. That, way, said "geniuses" called DP1 "beta 1" and DP4 "beta 4".

I suppose they won't be highly impressed by the fact that Apple themselves call what became available yesterday "OS X Yosemite Beta 1." They can always say they are right and Apple is wrong.

The last public beta was Kodiak for 10.0 (yes ten-point-oh), if I remember correctly. Ever since and until now, all pre-release versions of major versions of OS X were developer previews, so it was easy to affectionally call them betas.

Personally, I like the DPx and PBx nomenclature (also, more succint)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The last public beta was Kodiak for 10.0 (yes ten-point-oh), if I remember correctly.
Apple re-started the public betas with the Maverick Patches (10.9.4 I believe) and when they did, they advised the developers not to install the public beta but wait for builds specific to them.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
I seem to remember (although I might be mistaken) that there were also several Mavericks DPs and one or two betas. I'm not absolutely sure about that though, as I might be confusing the two release candidates that there were with betas. Perhaps there haven't been any betas since Kodiak, as you say.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Apple re-started the public betas with the Maverick Patches (10.9.4 I believe) and when they did, they advised the developers not to install the public beta but wait for builds specific to them.

Ahh, yes, you are correct. Mavericks did have public beta point patches. I was speaking of the major versions (10.x.0). Clever way to make sure the framework was in place in preparation for Yosemite, IMO. ;)

Barring any specific version checks, technically, the only thing that should matter are the build numbers from the computer's point of view. The DP and PB tracks really take into account the user's eligibility, software delivery method, legality, etc.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Going by this:

dMjUIWh.jpg

I would assume there will be a "OS X Yosemite Beta 2" and "OS X Yosemite Beta 3" etc etc, as many as Apple feel necessary.

This is the pubic beta.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Going by this:

I would assume there will be a "OS X Yosemite Beta 2" and "OS X Yosemite Beta 3" etc etc, as many as Apple feel necessary.

This is the pubic beta.

wow, good for you that you got the beta because i signed up for the beta program a week after it came out, and nothing. Still haven't been able to download it even after redeeming the code. Maybe because i'm running the Developer Preview? who knows...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
wow, good for you that you got the beta because i signed up for the beta program a week after it came out, and nothing. Still haven't been able to download it even after redeeming the code. Maybe because i'm running the Developer Preview? who knows...

If you are a registered Dev and you are running the DP you don't need the public beta honestly.

I signed up for the beta ages ago. And initially it didn't work for me. "Code already redeemed" bug for me. But after the Appleseed website went down and came back up I tried to log in again and it gave me a different code and that worked.

Downloading it is a little hit and miss though. Maybe it's better to wait till the crowds have finished so there is less server strain. It might download better for you then.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
If you are a registered Dev and you are running the DP you don't need the public beta honestly.

I signed up for the beta ages ago. And initially it didn't work for me. "Code already redeemed" bug for me. But after the Appleseed website went down and came back up I tried to log in again and it gave me a different code and that worked.

Downloading it is a little hit and miss though. Maybe it's better to wait till the crowds have finished so there is less server strain. It might download better for you then.

ok. Good stuff man. Appreciate it. I'm not a registered Dev but I've been running Yosemite since the first preview so I think I'm going to stick with the DP's because there may be more frequent updates with in the public betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.