Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I am thinking of installing Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro.
But I am worried that it might reduce the battery life or have bad impacts on the hard drive, etc. etc.

Does anyone know if installing Windows 7 have any negative impact?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
But I am worried that it might reduce the battery life or have bad impacts on the hard drive, etc. etc.

Battery life is far worse, but a decent drain and full charge is a good thing.

The only bad impact is the look on some Mac users faces you are running Windows lol. 7 64 bit is excellent and the first comparable to a Mac OS and I've used both since 1988. Older macs do need some bootcamp tweaking to get the most out of them but newer post 2011 models are usually pretty good.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Only on your IQ. :D

I run Windows under Parallels. It's all x86 code running on x86 hardware. One OS may be more efficient than another, but there are no "damaging" effects from use of either.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Nothing physically bad. As has been said, the battery life is worse when running Windows.

If you use Bootcamp then you'll have the Windows partition show in OS X as a separate disk...not really a downside unless you like things clean and tidy.

floyd-pinkerton

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
Just call the bootcamp drive .Windows, i.e put a "." in front of the name and it will be hidden on the OS X desktop.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

Not any permanent ones. Yes, it's less efficient with the battery but that just means you'll run through the battery faster. It won't kill the battery. It won't harm the hard drive any more than your existing OS harms the hard drive, etc. etc.

Other than that, you lose some space. Maybe other drawbacks depending on how you intend to run (Boot Camp versus VM).

Don't overlook the subforum dedicated to this.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Every virus on the internet will instantly try and attack your machine. BSOD. Windows "update". Lost GB of disk space. "Are you sure" popup windows.

And yes, dead Unicorns.

ManhattanBeach

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone have a link to a easy to follow walk through for installing windows on a mac? I'm looking to set it up but am pretty noob when it comes to this sort of thing.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
After installing windows (Note the lower-case 'w') and you have downloaded an email or 3, couple of updates and other stuff...

run ClamXav.app (http://www.clamxav.com/)
Make sure you check the entire root volume and wait for the subsequent phishing/trojan files to appear.

damn you to hell windows.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I use my Mac Mini as an HTPC and also my Nikon film scanner only work on Leopard or 32bit versions of Windows, so Vista was my choice. I have a digital tv card on it which only has Windows drivers.

In short, I'm stuck on 32bit Windows on this Mac Mini. But I wouldn't recommend Windows on a laptop because of battery life.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you want to only run Windows, buy a machine setup for it. If you need to run the occasional Wi does program then use bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion. Why pay extra for hardware that includes great software if you're not going to use the software?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I know this is obvious, but just to clarify for the OP... Battery life is only worse then OS X when Windows is actually running.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
If you want to only run Windows, buy a machine setup for it. If you need to run the occasional Wi does program then use bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion. Why pay extra for hardware that includes great software if you're not going to use the software?

I had to have two machines until apple went intel. Since 2009 and Windows 7 I fail to see there's anything but unicorn death stopping users running both OS if they wish and have needs to run Windows apps. XP may have been way behind the mark set by OSX, Vista a kludge but 7 is great. Hopefully 8.2 will be 7's worthy successor later this year!

floyd-pinkerton

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
WinUniDefCrew sounds more 'with it' :D

:D

FWIW I find most 'standard' apps, those that do not require excessive amounts of resources can be run in VMs. I used to love Fusion, but the newer iterations of Parallels mostly 9 have some pretty snazzy features in the Mac desktop environment.

Do unicorns die when using VMs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.