Does integrated graphics slow down the macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EB66, Mar 15, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

Being that it has integrated graphics, would the macbook be slower than a comparitive macbook pro in applications such as photoshop, remote desktop, torrent programs?

also would they perform the same if I were running a torrent program, itunes, safari, and remote desktop at the same time? that only has to do with ram right?

thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Possibly, but the difference will be negligible, and the MB will handle those applications just fine.

3. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They'll be fine, its got an Intel chip in it after all. Though you would be better off with the full 4GB RAM for those (buy from a third party, not Apple)

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It may affect Photoshop. The rest are entirely RAM-dependent. Photoshop will run perfectly given enough RAM, too. I run Windows XP through Fusion with 2 GB RAM and it runs fine. You'll probably want 4 GB if you go for Vista, though.

6. pazreal macrumors regular

My MBP seems to be way faster at multitasking if there are any graphical apps involved than my MB ever was. I will second the statement about maxing out your RAM since the MB is sharing it for graphics.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

It will not affect any program that uses only 2D graphics. Photoshop would run as fast as it would on any machine with the same processor and amount of memory.

Only 3D programs would be affected. This includes 3D graphics applications like Maya or Lightwave, CAD apps like VectorWorks or Cobalt, or 3d-accelerated video apps like AfterEffects or, of course, Games. Unless you use those applications, you would see no difference in speed.