Does Intel Rumor Impact planned iMac G5 Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BlairMALL, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. BlairMALL macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2002
    Chesapeake, VA
    I am planning on buying an iMac G5 20" to replace my G4 450DP. I have been waiting for quite some time to make this purchase. Just when I get the go ahead, the Intel rumor explodes on the forum. I know that there is nothing out there definitive, but I am just curious about how this kind of potential shift would/could/should affect me the immediate consumer.

    I submitted a similar post in the rumor section itself, but didn't get any response (I realized that this post is having trouble finding a real home right now.)

    I am going to wait to buy until after Monday's revelation, but I really would like some opinions on this.

  2. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
    if true which is very unlikely apple would not abandon people who buy a new mac now.
  3. Willy S macrumors 6502

    May 8, 2005
    Why should it?

    If this will result in lower prices in the near future, I would be reluctant to buy a highend Mac now.

    However, regardless of this, I´m reluctant to buy a highend Mac now because I find them to be over priced. IMO, lowend Macs offer much better value for the money.
  4. sk8erboy macrumors regular

    Apr 25, 2005

    very very true.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Re: Does Intel Rumor Impact planned iMac G5 Purchase

    Of course, the rumor is for something that is "supposed" to be happening in a year or two. ;)

    Then there is the rumor that US currency is hazzardous to your health (use plastic instead), so if you send me your cash I'll gladly dispose of it properly according to any applicable law.

    In other words, take rumors with a grain of salt, and wonder why rumor sites have not been buzzing with the news. Especially when news of what Apple is doing in a few months is quite scarce.
  6. matthew24 macrumors 6502


    May 30, 2002
    I sold my PM G4/800 SP a week ago ( 600 Euro ). Planning to buy a G5 DP 2.0. I even phoned a shop and asked for some info concerning BTO options, then I made the remark to wait for WWDC announcements, not expecting something special. I don't like the Intel rumors a single bit, but I have to wait for coming monday.

    Probably I will buy the G5 anyway, and enjoy the PPC processor as long as possible. I am very satisfied with the hardware and software developements over the past 3 years, the games consoles moved over to the PPC as well. 970MP will come, I hope that Apple keeps her head clear, I feel there is no reason to go over to an architecture with less potential.
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Go ahead and buy your iMac G5. They were just updated and therefore they will not be revised at WWDC.

    The intel rumor is not gonna happen (x86 cpus in Apples). Apple may contract Intel to manufacture the PowerPc Processor but they will not put a Pentium in a Mac. So your decision to buy a iMac G5 now is a sound one.

    Enjoy your new Mac. :)
  8. ITASOR macrumors 601


    Mar 20, 2005
    You should buy it now just to try to avoid having an intel processor. :eek:
  9. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    And you know this for a fact? I woudn't be suprised if Apple has been developing OS X for the x86 on the side as a back up plan in case Motorola and/or IBM can't deliver.
  10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000


    Mar 6, 2005
    The intel rumor even if it does go through will have no effect for at least a year therefore buying a iMac G5 now will in no way be affected by the intel rumor, so go ahead and buy and enjoI the curent iMac G5...

    Shadow :eek:
  11. apple_g5 macrumors member


    Apr 9, 2005
    Innsbruck, Austria

    I have to agree 100%!!!

    Even if they were to make this INTEL deal, it would take them at least a year to yank out a semi-working computer (not speaking of recompiling all the apps). Get the iMac now!!! Wonderful computer -> my father has 6 in his office -> they work fast & reliable! :cool: :)
  12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601


    Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    lets assume the rumor is true.
    then for mid 2006 the mac mini with intel chip is announced. that means end 2006 it's there. end of 2007 some half baked power macs based on intel ship.

    that means no intel imac before spring 2007. that's an eternity in the computer world. you would'nt know whats going to happen to the imac line till then anyway. add to that that in spring 2007 90% of all mac ownwers have PPC macs. then i think its clear that there won't be any "only x86 software" on the market before 2008. robust x86 software will be there earliest end of 2008.

    enjoy your imac!

    i'm going to buy as soon as a 23" imac is there.

    my 2 cents.
  13. denm316 macrumors 6502

    Oct 16, 2003
    I just bought my iMac on Saturday and I love it.
  14. cube macrumors Pentium

    May 10, 2004
    If Apple switches to x86 or Intel, don't buy again from them ever again.
  15. mvc macrumors 6502a


    Jul 11, 2003
    And what are you going to buy instead, an abacus? :cool:
  16. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    Then your other option is still an x86 box, but with an inferior operating system(read: Windows). I don't like the idea of x86 Macs, but not because of some point less hatred of Intel, but be cause a platform shift will be a major pain in the ass. This will be nothing like the 68k to PowerPC shift.
  17. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    Assuming the rumors are true, for the short term, PowerPC Macs would have the advantage, but for the long term, x86 Macs would be the best bet.

    At first the x86 Macs will likely use some sort of emulation, and most software will continue to be compiled for the PPC, and just be emulated on x86. Given OS X's NeXT roots, the next major revisions of applications after the shift will use fat binaries(PPC and x86 binaries in one app package) would likely be used to obtain dual compatiblilty, but don't expect a lot of recompiles of current software. Eventually, PPC will be dropped, unless, Apple uses fat binaries to to continue a multiplatform strategy(I would consider this actually rather likely).
  18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Yes, are the newer 64-bit Pentiums bi endian?

    Because the switch from one endian to another would cause some problems.

    Heck, the switch to the PPC970 caused some endian issues in programs, due to the fact that it was our first PPC chip that wasn't biendian (or include those instructions) any more.

    For a long time we couldn't even expect a Mac version of some PC video card unless they were biendian, which most are these days. But it was a big issue for a long time. These days having a big enough ROM to flash the cards firmware to the Mac is the issue.
  19. cube macrumors Pentium

    May 10, 2004
    A Solaris/SPARC workstation.
  20. cube macrumors Pentium

    May 10, 2004
    Fallacy. See above.
  21. skubish macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I was planning to continue to use my
    Atari 800
    Commodore Amiga
    Who needs more that 256kb RAM anway :rolleyes:
  22. mandis macrumors regular


    Feb 18, 2005
    I reckon you'd better wait till Monday.

    In my opinion all this x86 rumors are complete bollocks. No reason why it should happen. In fact it would be easier and perhaps even more financialy viable for apple engineers to design their own chip and have it manufactured somewhere in China than to switch to x86.

    The new Imac G5 is an amazing computer from every aspect. (except games perhaps). I'm planning to buy the 20" model myself by the end of the summer.
  23. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    You are aware that Sun has already begun an x86 transitions. Sure SPARC isn't compleatly dead, but they are being relegated to servers. Don't expect many updates to SPARC work stations.
  24. cube macrumors Pentium

    May 10, 2004
    This is complete BS.
  25. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    Sun has publically stated that SPARC is still around for high end servers and for leagacy support, but Opteron is the future for Sun workstations.

Share This Page