Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
:confused: I decided to switch from a PC to Mac so I bought an IMac 20" , my first Mac, but I am feeling a little bit frustrated as far as internet speed goes. I have already 4 browsers installed, but seems that none of them is working as expected. When I say expeted , I mean, I am comparing it to my old PC which is way faster loading pages. What can I do to make it better? Anybody?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
are you using dial-up, ethernet, or wireless?

i would stick to one browser. when i first got my MBP, Safari was the slowest between it, FF, and Camino but now it's the fastest.

rlima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
are you using dial-up, ethernet, or wireless?

i would stick to one browser. when i first got my MBP, Safari was the slowest between it, FF, and Camino but now it's the fastest.

DSL - ethernet

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
:confused: I decided to switch from a PC to Mac so I bought an IMac 20" , my first Mac, but I am feeling a little bit frustrated as far as internet speed goes. I have already 4 browsers installed, but seems that none of them is working as expected. When I say expeted , I mean, I am comparing it to my old PC which is way faster loading pages. What can I do to make it better? Anybody?

hmm... This comes up now and then with new users. Some say their browsers are faster, while others just can't work out why they are so slow. I've found the new intel machines to be superfast as far as internet goes. ~G5 browsers tended to be slower than the PC counterparts (just for internet, everything else was faster).

How much RAM do you have installed? Under 1GB isn't enough.Which browsers have you tried? I tend to find Safari works great on CD & C2D, but since that's not working well, you might try Shiira or Camino. Firefox 3 is fast but terribly unstable.

Also, did you find surfing to be slow straight out of the box or did it slow down after use?

yt

rlima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
hmm... This comes up now and then with new users. Some say their browsers are faster, while others just can't work out why they are so slow. I've found the new intel machines to be superfast as far as internet goes. ~G5 browsers tended to be slower than the PC counterparts (just for internet, everything else was faster).

How much RAM do you have installed? Under 1GB isn't enough.Which browsers have you tried? I tend to find Safari works great on CD & C2D, but since that's not working well, you might try Shiira or Camino. Firefox 3 is fast but terribly unstable.

Also, did you find surfing to be slow straight out of the box or did it slow down after use?

yt
I have 1GB of RAM, I am trying Safari, Camino, FF, SeaMonkey and Netscape... to be honest, I personally don't think it's the browser, I think that it's either configuration or hardware related.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Some ISP require Mac users to put in DNS Server Settings.

Try this as well:

1. Click on the Apple Menu and select System Preferences

2. Click on Network

3. About 1/4 the way down in the center of that window you still see Show: with a pulldown menu. Click on it and select Network Port Configurations.

4. If Built-in Ethernet is on the bottom of the list, click, hold and drag it to the top. This will give Built-in Ethernet top priority with the network.

5. Click Apply Now when finished

6. Click on the red dot in the top left to close the window out.

See what that does. 1GB of RAM is fine. The only time you will start to need for RAM is if you use a lot of non-Intel apps, and/or you are going to use Windows at the same time. 

Also like I said, if you can obtain the DNS #'s from your ISP and then put them in the DNS Severs box that may also help. 

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.