Does Invisible Shield ruin iP4's display experience-wise?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by frosse, Aug 12, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

I've decided to use Invisible Shield on the back of iP4 to protect it against scratches etc, but I'm hesitating on using it on the front since it may ruin the whole experience with the Retina display, would that be a fair assumption?

2. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

I don't like it. The material makes the screen feel sticky.

3. ScreamingPsycho macrumors newbie

No. I have had the invisible shield on there since i got the phone. no difference i could see.

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Unfair assumption. I just finished letting mine cure/install over night and wow, other then the orange peel effect which I seem to like, the retina display isn't hampered in any way.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

The sticky feeling of the shield goes away or lessens as you use it. It doesn't mess with the retina either. Of course that's based off user though. What doesn't bother one may bother another.

6. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

The IS doesn't change the way the Retina Display looks at all. The only side-effect, mentioned earlier, is there is a "orange peel" effect when light is reflected off it, but when the screen is on you can't see that effect. I love my IS.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, but it will ruin your life, experience-wise. Don't do drugs, kids. Or use Invisible Shields.

8. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

You need an actual reason to say that. Many of us liked our Invisible Shields.

9. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I just took mine off the front and kept the back one on. The IS picks up to much grease and just made the phone generally look crap imo. Plus I had a strange verticle rainbow line on front invisible shield which bothered me.

So for me yes it did ruin nice iphone screen.

10. Absolem macrumors regular

I thought it looked like crap when I saw it the first time but after I got mine installed you can't see the orange peel effect when you are looking at the screen normally(directly) with the screen on.

Also the feel I found is fine and the stickyness does go down after a few weeks.
    I thought my fingers stuck on the glass trying to play a shooter game just as much as with the Invisible shield.

I want to try 1 of the other shields but I wanted a shield fast and just had one installed at the mall kiosk.

No Regrets! Keeps my nasty work hands (oil, dirt, grease, gas etc) off the actual glass and you can clean it with windex or w/e.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) Due to the porous nature of plastic they never seem to be quite as clean after a cleaning as the plain glass is. When I use a friend's Invisible-Shield phone I can practically imagine all their hand-sweat still stuck in that plastic. Fun. Perhaps this is a mental defect on my part. Doesn't matter, though. If I'm thinking it then I'm thinking it.

2) The horrible 'sticky' feeling that keeps your finger from moving smoothly across the screen. Read all the posts above and you'll see that everyone apparently "gets used to it" after some time has passed. They all SAY it goes away but no, it doesn't. They're just used to it it now. I suppose "you'll get used to it" can also be good advice for someone going to prison. But it's not a selling point for me.

3) The edges pick up dirt and grime and it just...stays there. I admitted that point #1 may be my imagination but this one is very real. Gross.

4) A little water cleans up my glass screen quickly and perfectly. It doesn't seem to work so well on plastic, you need stuff like windex (I guess?) like the poster above me stated.

5) It makes you look like those people who wear eyeglass strings even though they're not playing sports. I know what I'm talking about. I used to be that kid. (I'm not joking.) I used to be a total dork when I was younger but thankfully I've moved up to 'sophisticaed nerd' in my later years. But now it bugs me when I see excessively dorky things in the world which the Invisible Shield unequivocally qualifies for. It's no different than wearing velcro shoes. So gauche.

6) It makes the screen...soft. Like, gym-mat-ish. Seriously, I have to explain this one? This is just so...so wrong.