Does iOS 4.2 tweak the proximity sensor any more than iOS 4.1 did?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WilliamG, Nov 17, 2010.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I had NO issues prior to iOS 4.1, and since upgrading to 4.1 my proximity sensor has been driving me insane. Flashing on and off like a strobe light.

I've heard rumblings of iOS 4.2 adjusting it some more, so I was hoping some peoples here could tell me what they've seen if they had issues at 4.1.

Thanks!

2. iRepair macrumors newbie

iRepair

This is a fairly common problem for iPhone 4 users that supposedly was addressed with the last software update but the fix doesn't seem to have taken effect. I have heard many complaints about the proximity sensor from iPhone 4 owners so I would bet that there is a high probability for another attempt at a fix with firmware update 4.2

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Sorry to disappoint but I'm still having some issues with the sensor when holding the phone up with my shoulder, and sometimes even when holding it with my hand. I honestly believe it has to do with the position of the sensor being different than the 3GS, but it really hasn't been that HUGE of a deal for me...

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yes, running 4.2 GM but not version b. But as far as I can tell the prox sensor is still much more sensitive than my 3GS so that's why I think this is more of a hardware issue than software.

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Interesting. I swear it's one thing after the other with the iPhone 4. Can't wait for iPhone 5, let me tell you...

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I can definitely understand your frustration, and iPhone 5 should be very interesting just to see what Apple has taken from all the negative PR with the antenna, although, sales of iPhone 4 haven't really suffered from it.
    I'll tell you what tho, from my experience, iPhone 4 is a win. Better screen, reception, battery life, camera, processor, sound, build (doesn't squeak, bend or give as easy as the prev gens), more RAM.
    I am satisfied with it.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Well, if only it would make phone calls properly. :)

10. riceinwa macrumors newbie

Yeah, I found the auto correct feature for the misdialed numbers to be be pretty lame, too.:D

11. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Well now that iOS 4.2.1 is officially out, I'm curious if those with proximity issues like me have had this resolved. I never had a single proximity sensor issue with my iPhone, iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, but my iPhone 4 is driving me crazy. :(

12. sg01 macrumors member

I've had the proximity sensor issue on my iPhone 4 and it's been very annoying. After updating it last night, I have not had any issues today. Really glad it's working well now after the update.

13. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

That's awesome news. The Apple Discussion Boards agree with you. Can't wait for the JB so I can update! :D :D

14. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

jeow,brother. that sensor is so messed up that it could potentially be dangerous to epileptic people? bro i just updated my tin and im hoping that problem is gone. lets go and call someone to find out...