Does iOS 5 Show iPhone Retina Apps in full Res?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

With 90,000+ iPad-specific apps in the App Store now, it's high time Steve flicked that switch.

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Highly doubt that it does. They want you to buy iPad specific apps.

3. kalex macrumors 65816

That switch will never be flipped. Steve wants you to buy ipad apps in addition to iphone apps u might already have and u have to support developers by buying same thing over and over and over again :)

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't think Apple wanting to you buy the apps twice is the issue.

They have universal binary for a reason.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

Are there any devs or "hackers" that can confirm that iPhone retina apps still look like trash on the iPad?
    It's a shame that you need a jb tool to make retina apps look as good as they should...and also that it's impossible on the iPad 2 since there is no jb yet.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Its exactly the same, I Can confirm they still look bad

7. doboy, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011

doboy macrumors 68000

Agree. Apple want devs to either make an universal version or create one specifically for iPad. Otherwise, iPad becomes just a large iPhone (not that there is anything wrong with that) since the scaled app won't be utilizing the extra real-estate of the iPad. It's a bit disappointing, but we might not have the awesome iPad apps if they simply allowed scaling.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I wouldn't be surprised if they add it once iPad apps catch on just a little bit more and have a strong foothold in the market. Either that or support "retina" 960x640 on a retina iPad, so that it still is somewhat fuzzy by comparison.

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

That's fine, but there's a lot of good iPhone apps that don't have iPad versions.

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

They understand that, but they also want to stop people from paying few bucks less and use Retina's enhanced resolution to substitute a real iPad app. iPad apps have different suggested UI, and different user experience. And this is why that switch would never be flipped... Only hope is jailbreak and retinapad.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is a bit ridiculous. iPhone 4 apps should run full resolution on the iPad. There's no reason apps should look worse on one device than another one they can both run it at full res.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

One reason they don't want you to run retina apps is because they waste a lot of space. All the buttons and interface elements would be twice as large as they need to be.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Or developers could make their iPad apps be better than an iPhone ported app. This way the market could dictate it's success, if people find value in the iPad specific app over the scaled iPhone app then they will buy it. It just seems suspicious for Apple to just not allow scaling. The market usually is pretty accurate in weeding out poor quality or lack of usefulness.

14. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I wish more devs would make universal apps. Lots of them charge more for a seemingly "HD" version that runs on iPad. :(

15. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

16. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

It is more likely that Apple would discontinue allowing iPhone to run on iPad (this, however, is unlikely)

17. LeakedDave macrumors regular

You're telling me that Apple's engineers can't sort that out? Pfft.

Anyway I'm sure the retina iPad 3 might run iPhone apps at retina :p

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I think the reason is more so because Apple doesn't want developers becoming lazy when it comes to app development for the iPad. If Apple allowed retina iPhone apps to be displayed at full retina resolution on the iPad, then many people would say that it looks "good enough" and they won't be bothered to make an iPad specific version. Basically, my point is that by not allowing this to happen it pushes developers into making something different for the iPad rather than just scaling.

Me too. It just seems redundant to have to buy an app again just because I want to use it on my iPad in it's full glory.