Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hi there,

that may sound as a silly question for anyone keeping a close eye on iOS-related news, but does this version offer spoken directions for when driving?

I know turn-by-turn is already enabled, but it's not safe to have a look at the map while driving, especially in an unfamiliar environment.

LizCharlene

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
If you use the Google Maps app, it will speak out the directions, not sure about the Apple Maps app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For devices that support turn-by-turn navigation in Apple Maps (like iPhone 4S and newer) they should also have spoken directions as part of that.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I guess it has to do with the iOS version itself rather than a specific device. I pretty much get every step on my 3GS, only they're not spoken, just written (Silly, considering I made the route for a car, not a pedestrian).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess it has to do with the iOS version itself rather than a specific device. I pretty much get every step on my 3GS, only they're not spoken, just written (Silly, considering I made the route for a car, not a pedestrian).
It shouldn't really be based on iOS version (as long as it's iOS 6 and above) as much as devices. Is this using Apple Maps or another app (like Google Maps)? If Apple Maps, I don't believe turn-by-turn is enabled (with or without voice guidance) for iPhones older than 4S. If it's another app, like Google Maps, then turn-by-turn navigation should be there, but it's possible that the voice guidance might not be available.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Using Apple Maps. I think it offers better integration with the system, which is handy on a slower device such as the 3GS.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Apple Maps does, Waze and Google Maps as well. And MapQuest. I normally use Apple Maps - though it's a bear to make it redirect

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple Maps doesn't say anything. Haven't tested Waze yet.
Do you even actually get live turn-by-turn directions (where the view follows you and in real time tells you what to do next) on a 3GS with iOS 6?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
No, directions are presented in sequence but don't update as I drive.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
In fact, yes. I can slide them and it gives me turn by turn directions, but doesn't speak. I am wondering that no one had an iPhone 3GS, it seems?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Verbal directions with the iOS Maps ap on iOS 6 is not available on an iPhone 3Gs. It requires an iPhone 4S or newer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In fact, yes. I can slide them and it gives me turn by turn directions, but doesn't speak. I am wondering that no one had an iPhone 3GS, it seems?
Verbal directions with the iOS Maps ap on iOS 6 is not available on an iPhone 3Gs. It requires an iPhone 4S or newer.
Right, that's basically what I mentioned earlier in the thread, that 3GS doesn't support navigation in Apple Maps.

----------

Nor it does on iPad?
iPad 2 or later as mentioned in the fine print at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5429

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
My iPad 2 is a Wifi one, tethered to the iPhone. But it doesn't speak. since hardware is pretty much the same, is it a software limitation I could get rid of using a Cydia application?

Otherwise, what other application, side of G-Maps, would allow spoken turn-by-turn spoken direction?

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
My iPad 2 is a Wifi one, tethered to the iPhone. But it doesn't speak. since hardware is pretty much the same, is it a software limitation I could get rid of using a Cydia application?

Otherwise, what other application, side of G-Maps, would allow spoken turn-by-turn spoken direction?
Voice Turn-by-Turn came with Siri, the Siri libraries. Devices that support Siri can do voice navigation.

Thus, iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS do not support.

You need an iPad 3 or an iPhone 4S or newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.