iPad Does iOS 7.1 really improve the iPad Air performance?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by isoft7, Mar 22, 2014.

1. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I used to own an iPad Air, back with 7.04 or 7.06 or something, I can't remember... anyways, I sold it because frankly, I thought the performance was poor. Lots of lag and frame skips during the navigation of the OS and applications.

I've heard others complain of the same problem... but I've also heard iOS 7.1 is supposed to improve this.

Any personal experiences? Does 7.1 really fix things? ...should I buy another Air now?

Thanks!

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

IMO, 7.1 did tighten things up a bit with various operations and UI movements. It's not night and day or anything and some are trivial but it is a little zippyer.

I was pretty satisfied before but this completes it. :)

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

After install 7.1 it makes my Air runs snappy. :apple:

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I was within the return window of taking back my Air and 7.1 convinced me to keep it. It's a noticeable upgrade to iOS 7.0.x

6. JGWolven macrumors regular

It's not night and day, but it's pretty close to it. No crashes and everything is much snappier - it finally feels like the superior upgrade.

7. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

My iPad Air is a lot more stable now. Most of the bugs have been fixed. No more auto rotation issues for me was a huge improvement. Tabs reload less now. I was close to selling my iPad but after 7.1, I've decided to keep it.

8. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Come on brah, sif you'd sell an iPad Air....

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ditto for my Air and iPhone. The autorotation issue was my biggest peeve, and all seems well now. :)

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Faster overall response. Safari no longer crashes but it still does a little bit of reloading. No near as bad as what it used to be.

7.1 was a big improvement and in time I am sure it will get even better.

11. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Agreed, more stable but still have periodic crashes... V7.1 is a bit disappointing for me.

12. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

With the release of 7.1, my Air is running more efficient. There's been a reduction in lag, and fewer crashes in safari.

13. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

All around better performance. No Safari crashes, no mail crashes. Yet. The device did reboot once shortly after the update. I like the changes. I still have to restart after every charge for the battery meter to work correctly. Or for the battery to work correctly. I'm not sure which it is but if I don't restart after a charge the meter reports the battery draining about twice as fast as it should. I restart and I get 18-20 hours on a charge.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Tabs in safari do reload just like before. I do get logged out of Macrumors sometimes when the tabs reload.

I can delete videos on my Air now without the videos app crashing. Using sharing in the videos app to play videos from my Mac also doesn't crash like it does on my Mini running 7.0.4.

I miss a few things about not being jailbroken like blocking the ads in Safari and in apps.

15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I had a respring today on my iPad Air on 7.1.

17. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

This is interesting to me, b/c I hardly pay attention to my son's iPad Air but man since updating to 7.1 twice now he has came up to me and told me it has died. I don't ever recall this on previous iOS releases.....quite frustrating and thinking I'll DFU clean install tomorrow and go from there. Problem is he is using it when it dies so I never see it when it's down to 1% or so to see its usage stats.

18. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I hate to say that I have to update my reply. Mail crashes several times a week (it crashed a minute ago) and I restart it after every charge.

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

I recently began having springboard crashes on startup with assistive touch on with my iPad 3. Never happened before and i'm still on iOS 5.1.1 and I remedied the problem by first doing a hardware reset, followed by resetting 'all settings'. It worked like a charm. Someone else on this forum was having some squirrely issues on an Air and did the same and that fixed the problem as well.

20. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

21. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks. I've done both procedures and am hoping for the best, but not holding my breath. Everything I've tried in the past that worked, only worked for a short while.

22. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

It was noticeably speedier. Whether or not it was just animations, I'm not sure, but it feels faster and thus I'm happy with the update as I dropped the jailbreak I had on it. Just keeping my phone JB'd.

23. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Does 7.1 have anything to do with the BSOD on the iPad Air?

Mine is bricked and was running 7.1, but then had a BSOD and now it won't even turn on! :mad: