Does iOS 7 have persistent wifi?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by CyanLite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. CyanLite macrumors regular

So I have been searching the internet for days looking for an answer but I couldn't find one. So I decided to ask you guys who have it installed..

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically when the WiFi stays enabled when the phone is asleep and still getting notifications from apps.

iOS6 didn't have this and I assume it used data for notifications but I don't want that, I want it to use wifi

I know that things may change in the final build but I want to know how things are right now.

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

With most routers even though the WiFi signal bars disappear when locked I found under iOS 6 the iPhone is actually still connected.

For about 6 months I used my iP5 soley on WiFi without a SIM card. I would still get push notifications almost immediately even when the phone was locked.

Try it yourself, put your phone in Airplane Mode, turn WiFi back on, lock the phone, wait 30 seconds or so and do something that will send you a push notification.

You should receive it just fine unless you're on one of those rare networks where the iPhone won't keep the connection open.

If I'm not mistaken it has something to do with the network's beacon interval.

3. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't have an iPhone and don't want to update my iPad to iOS6 but I have seen so many threads on the internet complaining about the lack of persistent wifi on iOS6, you're saying that they're all wrong?

4. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Schrodinger would say that, unless the state is observable, it can therefore be assumed that the WiFi is AND isn't persistent, simultaneously.

HTH. :p

5. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

LMAO, well it is observable, turn off data, turn on wifi, put phone in standby, send yourself a message, check whether or not it makes a sound! :)

6. Damolee macrumors 6502

I believe it is in iOS 6.

I often get push notifications through with just wifi enabled and the screen shut off. Not quite sure how it works tbh.

When I power the screen back on, the wifi icon is not there to begin with.

7. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's weird... so it'd be safe to assume that iOS7 does indeed have persistent wifi?

8. petersmith5544 macrumors newbie

Does iOS7 have persistent wifi?

iOS 7 lets administrators configure individual apps to automatically connect to VPN when opened.

9. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I enable both wifi and mobile data when I'm at home. Everytime I turn on my phone screen, I see 3G icon for a few seconds before the wifi icon appears. Strangely, it seems like my iPad 3 does have persistent wifi because it does get notifications with the screen turned off.

10. Damolee macrumors 6502

Only way to test persistent wifi is to turn off 3G , just keep wifi enabled and see if you get push notifications.

I seem to, but i'm not sure how or why seeing as the wifi icon is gone when I unlock the phone and it comes back.

Have to assume its on some sort of timer and checks for them now and then.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Do you mean Cellular data? Assuming that a 2G data network is available, then you will still receive data over the cellular network

That's a feature that has been available for a while now. When an iOS device knows that a cellular connection is totally unavailable, it should keep Wi-Fi enabled - even when locked.

The OP wants to know if you can have Wi-Fi on 24/7 regardless of what other data connection is available - the answer to that is no.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

This is correct.

13. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

my iphone 4s is on iOS 6. it stays connected to wifi even when the screen is sleeping. but my iphone 5 doesnt stay connected to wifi.it may be coz of the cellular data is switched off on 4s and not the 5.

14. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you just said. If I disable all kinds of data connection (3G, EDGE), but WiFi on, will I get notifications when phone is in standby?

EDIT: Okay, so after reading everything again, I get it, and thanks for your answer :)

So just to make sure, if I have a SIM, and a cellular connection, but data disabled, then I won't get notifications when locked, correct? Is this also true for iOS7?

15. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Even better.. when I walk into an area with which I've set up wifi before, my phone now uses that wifi EVEN IF it required a login page previously. So now at school I don't have to log in each day, iOS 7 finds its way in and logs into wifi on its own.

I'm not sure how to test if this is the case while the phone is 'sleeping' though.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's because your iPhone is set by default to use cellular data and turn wifi off to save power. If it detects no data connection it'll keep wifi on in a low power state to allow push notifications etc to get through.

17. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have an iPad but my phone is a Nokia 920. The last update implemented an option to leave wifi on all the time. This means that even when my phone is 'asleep' it stays connected to wifi (if I have the option checked).

This was a much requested feature and frankly for those who have limited data it's quite nice because the phone always uses wifi even in the middle of the night. And I haven't found any significant battery degradation. So with my phone I simply leave both the wifi and the cellular on all the time. When I go anywhere I have set to auto connect to wifi my phone connects and all email, etc come through wifi. I can certainly tell the difference in my data usage.

This would be a nice option for Apple to implement. I would love it on my iPad because then I could leave the cellular switched on but it would only kick in when I leave the wifi location (usually my home).

18. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

So if I do have a cellular and WiFi connection but no data connection, then I will continue to get notifications when locked right?

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

According to a post in Apple's forums, the iPhone will maintain a wifi connection if it is plugged in.

20. CyanLite thread starter macrumors regular

That was in 2009 and wasn't my question... but thanks anyways

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Correct

22. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

well thats not true. my wife's iphone 5 is always connected to wifi when sleep. even when the cellular data is switched on :)

23. Steve28 macrumors member

How do you know?

24. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Unfortunately not the case for me with iPhone 5 and beta 2. Makes me constantly log back in at work and also the hotel I'm staying in now on vacation. It actually seemed to do better on beta 1 for me. Hopefully they get it straight with upcoming betas.

25. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

i checked from my dhcp client list on router's page.