Does iOS 7 let YouTube/Safari play in background?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Unless Google changes their mind (and music publishers change their mind), YouTube will never be allowed to play in the background. You can still stream via Safari in the background the same things you could stream in past versions...or at least I can.

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Safari can stream in the background and that's good enough for me. I don't think YouTube can stream in the background on any OS :/. I remember for awhile it worked with Jasmine, and then they were told by Google that it needed to be removed.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Like listening to a music video
While on Facebook ?
Its up to the developers whether they want to implement background playback. But it seems like Google wants to protect the interests of record companies and decided to ban background playback. I mean, it will be essentially a free spotify if they allow users to do so.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
An ungodly inefficient Spotify, with regard to data. It makes more sense to use a dedicated service imo.
For users who just don't want to splurge some cash on a spotify account, many are willing to do this. But true enough, you have to either replay or change to another music every 3 or 4 minutes manually .

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
You can on safari, if you press play from control center after leaving the app.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
For users who just don't want to splurge some cash on a spotify account, many are willing to do this. But true enough, you have to either replay or change to another music every 3 or 4 minutes manually .
Maybe iTunes Radio will put an end to this? I don't have the beta, but it sounds like a good fit to me.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Use Music Tube. Allows you to play YouTube vids in the background. Make sure to type it in as Music Tube in the App Store, lots of similarly named apps.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Safari can stream in the background and that's good enough for me. I don't think YouTube can stream in the background on any OS :/. I remember for awhile it worked with Jasmine, and then they were told by Google that it needed to be removed.
iTube is a great app, "cache" music and plays in background.
Free too.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Safari continues to stream when I go home without having to do anything.
I find this to be true only for audio only streams, not Youtube. But you can still lock the screen with YouTube on Safari and then double tap the home button and hit play and it will play the audio with the screen off. I can't get any other scenario to work though.

McTube is great. It sucks they made them take the cache feature away though.

Naor

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Google Chrome lets me play videos in the background, unlike in iOS 6.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
iOS 5 had background audio done perfectly. Makes iOS 5, much, much more useful to me than any UI changes in iOS 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPXIUlAKAo

It's such a BS that Google and other music companies made Apple remove this feature. What is next? Are they going to block desktop PCs playing audio when the tab is switched?