Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
So, to summarise: Yes, the UIPickerView "dials" are still there. If you don't like them, uhmm... sorry.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
So, to summarise: Yes, the UIPickerView "dials" are still there. If you don't like them, uhmm... sorry.

I'm looking forward to the final implementation of iOS 7 because I really like it overall. But its things like this that make me look forward to iOS 8. iOS 7 was obviously the best they could do in a short time, and it's pretty good. I can't wait to see how much they're able to improve it when they have a whole year to work on it.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I'm looking forward to the final implementation of iOS 7 because I really like it overall. But its things like this that make me look forward to iOS 8. iOS 7 was obviously the best they could do in a short time, and it's pretty good. I can't wait to see how much they're able to improve it when they have a whole year to work on it.

"The best they could do" ?

Sounds a bit condescending - it wasn't knocked up in a lunch hour...

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
"The best they could do" ?

Sounds a bit condescending - it wasn't knocked up in a lunch hour...

I think some of the icons were. :)

Seriously, I don't mean to sound condescending. On the contrary, Apple's designers and programmers had only a few months to completely overhaul an entire operating system. That's a daunting, almost impossible task, and I doubt anybody else could have done better given the time constraints.

So, when I say they did the best they could, I'm not implying a lack of talent, but merely a lack of time. Given the insanely short period of time they had to revamp the entire OS, the result is impressive, yet in some ways unpolished. Again, that's to be expected given the time constraints (and the fact that we're still in beta, of course). When Apple's very talented designers and programmers are given a more reasonable amount of time to work on this, I think the result (iOS 8) will be polished, professional, functional and beautiful.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I think some of the icons were. :)

Seriously, I don't mean to sound condescending. On the contrary, Apple's designers and programmers had only a few months to completely overhaul an entire operating system. That's a daunting, almost impossible task, and I doubt anybody else could have done better given the time constraints.

So, when I say they did the best they could, I'm not implying a lack of talent, but merely a lack of time. Given the insanely short period of time they had to revamp the entire OS, the result is impressive, yet in some ways unpolished. Again, that's to be expected given the time constraints (and the fact that we're still in beta, of course). When Apple's very talented designers and programmers are given a more reasonable amount of time to work on this, I think the result (iOS 8) will be polished, professional, functional and beautiful.

How can anyone know how long iOS 7 has been in the works? They aren't going to make public every single detail of a private project. It may have been two years for all we know. I hardly think this is a matter of the "best they could do in the time they had" - this is a firm, clear design decision - Apple are certainly not the type of company to rush things, certainly not something as crucial as a MAJOR release of an OS.

It's really not going to be changing much, if at all, so for those who dislike it, I would advise not thinking too much about it, or if you really cannot stand it, "jump ship".

Lack of planning and un-thought-out design is the way of Google, not Apple.

Last edited:

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
How can anyone know how long iOS 7 has been in the works? They aren't going to make public every single detail of a private project. It may have been two years for all we know.

Scott Forstall created iOS and was responsible for every version of it up through iOS 6. He, along with Steve Jobs, was a proponent of the skeuomorphic style that characterizes those versions of iOS.

But, as you may know, Forstall "resigned" from Apple at the end of last October and his responsibilities were divided among Jony Ive, Craig Federighi and Eddy Cue. Jony Ive was made Senior Vice President for Human Interface. Ive, as you also may know, is not a proponent of skeuomorphic design. The human interface we see in iOS 7 reflects Jony Ive's design sense, not Scott Forstall's. Since Jony Ive has only been in charge of human interface since October, we can deduce that what we see today in iOS 7 has been designed only since then.

I hardly think this is a matter of the "best they could do in the time they had" - this is a firm, clear design decision - Apple are certainly not the type of company to rush things, certainly not something as crucial as a MAJOR release of an OS.

It is precisely a matter of "the best they could do in the time they had," but as I said, I don't mean that as a disparagement. The human interface of iOS 7 is, indeed, a firm, clear design decision. But they had only a few months to implement that decision if they were going to have something to debut at WWDC this year. I suppose they could have made an incremental improvement to iOS 6 this year and saved iOS 7 for next year, but obviously, they chose not to.

I think they did a great job, all things considered, and there are still a few months left before the public release, so I expect it to improve between now and then.

It's really not going to be changing much, if at all, so for those who dislike it, I would advise not thinking too much about it, or if you really cannot stand it, "jump ship".

Some probably will, but not I. As I've said elsewhere, I love iOS 7. My complaints about it are mere quibbles compared to the things I like about it. And the point I was trying to make in this thread is that I like the direction Apple is going with iOS, and I'm eager to see what they're able to do with it when they have a whole year to work on it.

Lack of planning and un-thought-out design is the way of Google, not Apple.

I have not accused Apple of a lack of planning or thinking, but of a lack of time to implement the plan they thought out. They wanted to have a reasonably-complete version of iOS 7 ready to debut at WWDC this year, and that was a huge undertaking, given that they only had a few months to work on it. That they pulled it off as well as they did is impressive.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
One thing I hate about the current iOS is those dumb dials they use to set the Alarm time and Calendar dates. It is so much more efficient to just be able to type the time instead of having to rotate those dials and stop it on the time you want.

Anyone trying out iOS 7, has Apple finally done away with this idiotic feature?

I agree those look and function horribly

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Since Jony Ive has only been in charge of human interface since October, we can deduce that what we see today in iOS 7 has been designed only since.

Unless Ive had been working on his vision for iOS before Forstall resigned. He probably had thought out the groundwork already.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Unless Ive had been working on his vision for iOS before Forstall resigned. He probably had thought out the groundwork already.

Possibly so. Either way, I don't think the "here's what we want it to look like" part would have taken very long anyway. It's the "let's re-code the entire OS so it looks and behaves the way we want" part that would have taken some time.

I'm just guessing, of course. My opinion is freely given, and worth every penny. :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Those "stupid dials" are called the "UIPickerView" in iOS, and are simple yet functional way of attributing data. Why would anyone want to type the time or date, when you can just whizz through many fields in just a few seconds with the flick of a finger?

They're fun only if you don' t have to use them all the time... and if the selection is limited.

Recently we did a field app that had lots of date / time inputs. It didn't take long for the users to complain that inputing times (especially around halfway marks) was driving them crazy.

So we created our own touch inputs (larger calendar for dates, large numeric buttons for time) and the complaints disappeared. Suddenly you could enter a date and time in a fraction of the period it took to use a set of spinners.

If I gave you a mechanical egg timer, would you complain that you couldn't type in the desired time?

I would if the egg timer had a dial that encompassed an entire day (much less an entire year), and I had to set it quickly to an exact second.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
A vocal minority of complainers is still a minority.

Dear thread, please become closed, as the inane redundancy is starting to become tiresome...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A vocal minority of complainers is still a minority.

Dear thread, please become closed, as the inane redundancy is starting to become tiresome...

If you seriously believe a thread should be closed, report it to the mods. Otherwise, you are just doing the exact thing you are complaining others of doing, which is to post meaningless threads/posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.