Does iOS 8 fix the #1 problem with iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Supernerd, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Supernerd macrumors member

The broken wallpaper resizing? If iOS 8 puts it back to the way it was before 7, it will be the greatest piece of software Apple has ever put out, or at the very least it will make me feel less cynical about the company. Can anybody tell me if this is fixed?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you sure it isn't that way by design? It's designed to have a strange resizing for the parallax affect.

3. Supernerd thread starter macrumors member

I turned the parallax effect off because I hate everything about it (weird resizing, heavy battery drainage, and it's a really cheap effect anyway), which means I should have full and complete say over how my wallpaper is positioned as I did in iOS 6. I hate being that guy who demands that everything goes his way, and normally I'm very accepting of inconveniences because you know, stuff happens, but I lost my tolerance for Apple a very long time ago.

4. Seandroid macrumors regular

There's nothing wrong with it...? Just turn off Perspective Zoom...

5. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Exactly. Follow this guide to turn off perspective zoom.

6. dovahkiin691 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, didn't know this was a thing

7. Supernerd thread starter macrumors member

Don't see the option on my iPad.

Edit: didn't have 7.1. Updating now.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You need to update…

To Disable/Control the Wallpaper Zoom:
    Open the Settings app
    Tap on Wallpapers & Brightness
    Tap on the screens under Choose Wallpaper
    You should see the ‘Perspective Zoom’ toggle. Tap to switch it OFF.

If after update it still doesn't show, you have to disable "Reduce Motion," then you'll see it. (Then you can turn "Reduce Motion" back on).

9. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

i just asked this question in the iOS7 forum and was directed to this post.

i tried fixing the wallpaper issues using the suggested method but my wallpaper is still to big.
    reading the comments on the link provided, i see i'm not alone.

10. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Ios 8 does indeed fix the zooming. On the iPad you can finally zoom all the way out and see the full photo. Ios 7 did not allow this even though perspective zoom is off.

11. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm not sure I would agree with you that it's the number one issue with iOS 7.

12. Supernerd thread starter macrumors member

THANK YOU! That is very good to hear. I tried perspective zoom and all it does is give you slightly more space to work with, the same thing can be achieved by just selecting "Reduce Motion" in the Acessibility panel as I have done to turn off Parallax since iOS 7 came out.

Well at the very least it was the most insulting and condescending issue. It was really the only thing about iOS 7 that I flat-out hated, overall I was pretty pleased with it.

13. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Does it also fix the double zoom issue on iPad when setting a wallpaper in landscape mode?

14. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Here's the solution. Open your desired wallpaper in photos, tap the photo so there's black bars on the top and bottom, take a screenshot, turn perspective zoom off then set it as your background. Problem solved.

Attached Files:

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

No it doesn't. The wallpaper still will not allow any black spaces above and below the picture unless it is part of the photo itself. I see no difference in how it is with iOS 7.

16. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Turning off perspective zoom will stop the zooming but yea, there will be no black bars. You can trick the system by screens hotting the photo and then using that photo w/ black bars as the image so that black bars are part of the image.

17. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

18. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

See my post above.

----------

It's called perspective zoom, no?

19. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

but isn't that to many steps for something so simple?
    why is it so hard to just pinch or zoom a pic to make it fit.

you shouldn't have to take a screenshot of a pic that you want or download an app to adjust your wallpaper.

20. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Echoing Stuke00, the above quote is not true. You can't view the whole pic as a background in iOS8 unless the pic is the same aspect ratio as your screen. Same as 7.1. The screenshot workaround may work but it's a shame you have to go through that for a simple thing.

21. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

It's a lot easier than downloading an app that does the same thing. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

----------

+1, been running iOS 8 on my iPad since beta 1 and there has been no change in wallpaper positioning since 7.1.

22. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

I really hope they fix the iPad wallpaper issues by the iOS 8 release.The only way to avoid the crazy zooming right now on iPad is to set your wallpaper in portrait mode, then pan it over to the right a couple of swipes. There are two huge bugs at play here.

1. In landscape, the wallpaper zooms in WAY more than it does in portrait.

2. No matter what wallpaper you set (other than apples, weird) in portrait the zoom is less but it's panned over to the left, which causes that extra zoom when turning to landscape.

Such a mess.

An everyone please quit saying "turn off perspective zoom" IT DOESNT FIX ANYTHING. All it does is turn off the parallax effect while keeping a wallpaper zoomed in.

23. Sonmi451 Suspended

24. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Never knew this. Thanx.

25. gaanee macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tip, didn't notice it before because I keep Reduce Motion on.