does iOS6 slow down iPod 4gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jojoba, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

So, after my previous threads

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1456078
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1462951

I've done a bit of a u-turn and bought a second hand iPod Touch 4gen. My reasoning was a) I looked again at my usage pattern with my iPad, smart phone and regular camera, and realised that what I was mostly interested in was a media player that could play my music, podcasts and Spotify, and b) I found a very good deal on a second hand one and decided to save a big chunk of money that I would have spent on a 5th gen for travel.

So far, I'm pretty happy with that decision. My question is, should I update it to iOS6? Will that considerably slow it down/ make it lag?

2. rMacBookPro macrumors member

Even if it slows down your iPod, it shouldn't really be noticable. One some devices, it slowed down, on some, it actually became a lot faster.

Just try it yourself. Thats the only way.

3. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

If you plan to stick with Gen 4 then no need to up ios 6.0, i heard its laggy on Appstore.

BTW, dont you need good point and shoot camera for the travel????

4. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

It's really good on my iPod touch 4g.

Yes the AppStore is laggy but there is alternatives like using the AppStore through appshopper. All in all you can either jailbreak it on iOS 5.1.1 or upgrade iOS 6

5. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Didn't install iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 4G cos I only use it to listen to music and watch videos, the only game I play is Plant vs Zombies. The new features of iOS 6 is pretty useless to me, so decided not to update. Still on 5.1.1 ^^

6. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, everyone!

So, I decided to install it. The person I bought it from hadn't used the iPod for a really long time, so the OS was on 4. something.

I had one complete freeze just after install, but after that everything seems to be working fine. There's a tiny lag at times, but nothing too bad.

Haha, yes. But I'll use my regular camera and my phone.

7. Ozonekill macrumors newbie

Going iOS4 to iOS5 made my ipod 4g more laggy. Because of that I haven't bothered with iOS6.

8. WindowsFan macrumors newbie

I think as long as you totally factory reset the iPod, you'll be fine on iOS6. Before getting my iPod Touch 5G, I put iOS6 on my iPod Touch 4G and it was pretty slow, I couldn't even search for stuff on the App Store without it crashing every time. Bet after getting my 5G, I factory reset my 4G and suddenly stuff like the App Store ran a lot more smoothly.

9. matneh macrumors regular

I did feel like iOS6 was slower, so I went back to 5.1.1 and am fiddling around with jailbreaking. My favorite mod so far is removing the text below the icons. Gives it a nice clean look!

Attached Files:

10. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, it did a factory reset as part of the installation process. Nothing has crashed again since that first incident, and I've been on the App store to get stuff as well. It's not as fast as my iPad 3gen, but then I don't think that can be expected?

That looks good.

Is there a 'jailbreak for dummies' thread somewhere? I'm clueless about it...

11. Avatarshark macrumors regular

Mine is fine. I think it is a psychological issue, you think new OS on a device things should go faster, since iPod Touch 4 isn't design for iOS 6 why should it run faster than iOS 5 or iOS 4?

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

One of my friends upgraded his 4th gen to iOS6 and he doesn't seem to think it is any worse... It was slow anyway however, because it's only the 8GB model and it's full to the brim :eek:

13. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, having played around with this for a while now, I'm really liking this little iPod :) I haven't had any before, but I'm pretty happy with this decision now. I feel I saved some money but also got what I wanted. It's nice to be able to listen to music and podcasts on the go without any worries about battery life on my phone, it's very light, and I still have more than 10GB left for more music. And no more freezes or clashes at this point.

14. Bangolufsen macrumors member

Somedays it feels quick as lightning even in the App Store and the podcast app
    Other days it crawls with everything
    Not much of a diffence in speed from my pov
    Worth the upgrade if you're running osx

15. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Do you reboot your iPod everyday or so?

16. aimango macrumors newbie

aimango

well my 4th gen ipod was pretty laggy even on ios5. didnt see much of a change on ios6 :/ i dont use it very much anymore, but when i do, its a pain just trying to navigate around in the app store.

17. MLAM macrumors regular

I think the lack of RAM hurt the 4th Gen touch.

I updated mine to iOS 6 shortly before I sold it, can't say it was any worse than iOS 5, a reboot always made animations a lot smoother.