Does iOS8 still allow default apps to be changed?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kasakka, Jun 2, 2014.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

Now that iOS 8 will support 3rd party keyboards, although not mentioned, will it also be possible to FINALLY choose what browser you want to use?

2. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Almost done installing :) I'll let you know!

3. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I was looking for that as well. I only skimmed over various articles about the iOS features, but could not find anywhere that mentioned the ability to change default apps. I was hoping for this feature since you can now use third party keyboards.

4. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Will we need to? Seems like with the extensibility function, a third party app could change Safari directly.

5. Andy-V macrumors 6502

No extension to Safari can replace the entirety of Safari.

6. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think extensions allow changing things like UI etc. I much prefer Chrome (even though I like the Android version of Firefox even more) to Safari.

I'd also like to know if there is still a big discrepancy between Safari and other browsers' Javascript performance (Apple doesn't allow anything but Safari to use the faster JS engine by default at least on iOS 7).

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

In iOS8 3rd party browsers can use the faster Nitro JS engine (but they are still limited to WebKit due to safety reasons)

8. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

You can't select default apps just yet. Hopefully this will change in the future.

9. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that is a nice improvement at least. Shame about the lack of default app options though.

10. bunchofpenguins macrumors member

Put the app you don't want to use in a folder and drag the one you do want to use to the dock. Click on that instead. How hard was that?

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Think they're about when apps open links. Some apps will build in their own web view and/or provide options to open links in a browser of your choice, but there's no system wide option. Tap a link in Mail, it opens in Safari.

12. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Not hard, but it would still be nice to have every web link you clicked on open in chrome instead of safari, especially with safari in beta and unable to hold more than one tab at a time's memory currently

13. bunchofpenguins macrumors member

Ooh, I see now - that makes sense, hopefully they'll add that.

14. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly. Even on Android I sometimes run into situations where I want to open a link in a different app than the default. Being able to do that is nice to have. Alas, Android on a tablet is still not as nice as ios on the ipad.

15. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I have some default apps set on my Android device. For the browser, I always use Chrome. For maps and locations, I don't have a default app set. Sometimes I want to use Google Maps. Other times, I use Waze. I would say that default app settings is more than a nice to have. It's more of a huge annoyance when you don't have it.

Although this feature is not in iOS 8, I feel that it is likely to come in a future iOS version. Allowing third party keyboards and better communications between apps is a pleasant surprise to see in iOS. It makes me feel that perahps default apps is not too far behind.