Does iP5 really need screen protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rtr1985, Sep 24, 2012.

1. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

I've always used them. However, the iP5 screen seems to be highly scratch resistant with the "gorilla glass 2." I understand it can scratch, but I mean from just everyday use--pockets, sitting on table etc.

Not needing one would be great. Zagg and wrapsol end up attracting filth, discoloring, and peeling at the edges. I went through at least 3-4 warranty replacements on iP4.

Economically, buying protection accessories neutralizes the premium on reselling a mint device because you're still out $50-100 (or more) from purchases. In the long-run, I'm better off just taking a hit on the re-sale price.

"Cosmetic" accessories are not to be confused with accessories that augment the functionality of the device--e.g., cases for operation in extreme environments or wallet type things that add convenience.

2. NiCK Crush macrumors newbie

3. wellok macrumors 6502

Ripped the screen protector off my 4S early on and not a single scratch, so I didn't bother on the 5.

4. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

IMO screen protectors haven't been needed since the iPhone 4.

I was OBSESSIVE with them for the first 6 months or so with my iPhone 4...and finally decided to go without (still using a case though). I just sold that phone for $225 without a scratch on the screen.

My theory, which many here hold, is that Apple spends millions of dollars in R&D to perfect the touchscreen display. No protector can replicate that exactly. So why cripple your phone and not use it the way it was designed to be used? Just use common sense and you should be fine. I think a case that prevents the screen from touching a surface (with a "lip") is more important than a protector.

5. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. Another hidden cost to using a screen protector is that it takes away from the user experience. And, if that is something you value, those accessories eat away at your net benefit.

By the way, I just realized the smaller charger makes it much more comfortable to use the phone horizontally when it's plugged in.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

According to lifehacker it's sand in your pocket that scratches your phone, rather than keys or change - just a thought.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I refuse to use screen protectors. My mom always suggest and reminds me she can get discount on them from Verizon and someone at Best Buy wanted me to buy one with my case, but hell no. You might as well ad that extra layer of glass back to the iPhone.

8. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

Me and my wife both upgrade at the same time and we both sell our phones on-line.
    My wife goes a full year with no screen protection or case and although hers may have a few micro-scratches on the screen and the back I only manage to sell mine for 40-50 £'s more than her and this is considering mine had a power support protector and incipio feather case.
    As has been stated, I buy the 12south bookbook case as it holds credit cards also.

9. mzd macrumors 6502a

as mentioned above, since the improved glass with the release of the iPhone 4, they are not as necessary as before. i also have no scratches on my two year old iPhone 4 glass, front or back. combination of no case, bumper, and a speck fitted when i knew i'd be in more active environments (biking, hiking, camping, fishing, etc.).
    i will add that i do keep my iPhone in a microfiber sunglasses pouch regardless and i think that really helps as far as unknown debris in your pockets.
    so i think the front glass on the iPhone 5 should prove to be pretty durable on its own.
    the back is another story... i just ordered a Bodyguardz skin for the back. i just don't trust the aluminum to be as durable. i don't own an iPad or an aluminum Macbook, so i don't have a lot of experience with the anodized aluminum durability. it has been fine on my iMac of course, but that never leaves the house. ;)

10. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

11. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Exactly how I feel...really don't need them,however I just bought one and put it on and love it. It's a Moshi iVisor AG. The anti-galre and anti-fingerprint qualities are sweet!

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I always get the power support crystal front and back screen protector set. Its crystal clear and super thin so you dont know even know its there.... it's only $15..... I dont use a case, so for $15 bucks and something that I forget is there its a no brainer. Perhaps the phone wont get scratched but why take the chance.... I have seen some people with scratched screens on the 4S and on the 4.

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

At least get a clear one

Your missing out on the retina screen

14. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

After using a screen protector on my i4 for nearly 2 years and then taking it off a few months before the 5 came out, I can tell you that its really not worth it. The screen will resist scratches as long as you don't carry screwdrivers in your pocket and the quality looks better without one.