Does iPad 2 default to using WiFi over 3G if I leave both turned on?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cjs201, Apr 12, 2011.

1. cjs201 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2 3G on AT&T. Currently, I toggle back and forth between WiFi and the 3G service. If I know there is a WiFi network, I go into settings and turn off the 3G service to ensure that I am not using any of my monthly data quota. Is this necessary? If I always leave both turned on, will the iPad automatically switch back and forth, and default to using the WiFi until it's unavailable, then use the 3G network, then switch back to WiFi if I re-enter an access point? If I leave both turned on, I can't tell which one it is using. Does it use both?

Thanks.

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

You don't need to do this - if there's an available wifi connection, the iPad will prioritise this over 3G.

3. DefBref macrumors 6502

If you have 3G in the top left hard corner it's using 3G, if it's radiating quarter circles it's using wifi, it's pretty obvious when it's using and what.

4. cjs201 thread starter macrumors newbie

re:

I think what was confusing is that it shows BOTH "AT&T" with signal strength bars, as well as the WiFi bars, side-by-side. If I go in to settings and turn off the WiFi connection, the WiFi bars disappear and "3G" appears in its place. I was concerned that since it is connected to AT&T (even while connected to WiFi), that perhaps it was using the 3G network, even though the WiFi is connected. But I see what you are saying... if the 3G is not showing, then it's not transferring data through the AT&T 3G network (even if it is connected to AT&T, as is evident by the AT&T signal strength indicator - which is always showing).

Thanks.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Correct. You'll stay connected in case the Wifi drops out. It'll send the occasional ping but not enough data for it to amount to anything. It's also holding out for the nonexistent received call or text message :p

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The AT&T 3G iPad device does receive text messages from AT&T. I bet there's a way to send and receive them ourselves.

Cheers,

7. cjs201 thread starter macrumors newbie

How does it receive text messages? What app would open to display a text message?

8. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Ditto.. I've never gotten a message on mine from AT&T.. Email yes, text message no..

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Sorry, I'll rephrase lol. I just meant that the antenna inside will stay connected waiting for signals from the cell tower. One that you actually will receive are activation pings and time signal updates :)

10. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

If you want to be sure which connection Safari is using you could try using this IP address lookup site. It will tell you which ISP your current IP address belongs to.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The same little text message box pops up when AT&T sends the security code you need to do certain online things with your account. it stays on the screen I don't know how to get it back if I navigated away while it was still there. sure looks like a text you get on the iPhone but maybe it's just a system pop up.

Cheers,