Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardroma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
I have the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 3GS and it has a thin plastic window over the touchscreen, but from all the pictures I've seen I can't tell if the iPad 2 version has the same thing. Anyone know? Thanks!

TOYSTRY

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
I have the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 3GS and it has a thin plastic window over the touchscreen, but from all the pictures I've seen I can't tell if the iPad 2 version has the same thing. Anyone know? Thanks!

Yes. I just bought mine the other day and am selling it if you what it. PM me if interested.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010

Yes, it does, but be warned, the case is the worst product Otterbox has ever produced.

That statement comes from a person who is very fond of the Otterbox lineup. I'm sure Otterbox is rethinking this design...it's creaky, doesn't fit well and gets bad reviews everywhere. It's a totally worthless product...buying it is literally the equivalent of flushing $90 down the toilet.

I had mine for a day and a half before returning it.

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Yes, it does, but be warned, the case is the worst product Otterbox has ever produced.

That statement comes from a person who is very fond of the Otterbox lineup. I'm sure Otterbox is rethinking this design...it's creaky, doesn't fit well and gets bad reviews everywhere. It's a totally worthless product...buying it is literally the equivalent of flushing $90 down the toilet.

I had mine for a day and a half before returning it.

You lasted longer than me. I had it for about 1 hour before returning it. First otterbox product that I hated.

iphone4customer

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Wait a minute, guys. the Defender for iPad 2 does not have a built in screen protector. I think you are confusing this with the adhesive film that is provided when ordering direct from Otterbox. That's a very different feature.

The gumdrop drop case, on the other hand, does have a built in screen protector, as does the griffin survivor. So I'd suggest taking a look at those two. I've had the gumdrop for a few days and am really impressed.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
All the time they took to develop the case and it came out horrible that's crazy. I love my Defender for my iPad 1st gen though.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I had emailed Otterbox the other to ask for an RMA for my Defender, which was not a problem, but what I was surprised about was when I emailed them my invoice they issued me a refund and sent me a check. They did not want the case back, so I got to keep the case for free.

And before this all happened they had sent me a new rubber silicon wrap that took care of the headphone plug adapter not staying in place problem.

It's not my favorite case, The Mophie Workbook is, but the Defender for free I am more willing to use, hey what the hell!

I put it on the Otter yesterday, as I was considering getting the GumDrop, and wanted to be sure I wanted to spend more dough on yet another case that will not be used all the time, and seeing the shipping on the red/black has been delayed yet again, and thought this is not a terrible case for free, I am going to hod of on the GumDrop for now.

The Defender is not 100% bad, not the greatest design for sure, but it does have its merits. If it is put on correctly, and I had a tough time at first, as someone said earlier, it was creaky so I went back to make sure everything was snapped into place and sure enough they were not. That did the trick, now a lot more solid than before.

I have already made the front cover into a smart cover with a strategically placed small magnet on the inside cover, a very nice feature I think and something I could not get with the gum drop case since it does not have a cover.

So, I am going to hold off for awhile and use this one when I need too and see how I feel if and when GumDrop gets the red and black ones in stock.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
You guys helped alot but i still have a problem... the only thing that is keeping me from not leaving otterbox on the ipad 2 is that it comes with a stand.......the survivor and the other one are good but i dont want to buy a seperate stand... are there any other heavy duty cases that come with a stand?

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Hmmm, I hope the Defender isn't that bad as some say here.

I ordered mine yesterday on Amazon. It was $48, so much cheaper than Otterbox.com directly.

Guy at our church had one on his ipad and I thought it was a good case and he raved about it. I like the stand built into the cover.

Hopefully it works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.