Does iPad 2 support real Multitasking now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

It has got a Dual Core processor. Any word about getting real multitasking now?

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Nope. Just real efficient multitasking.
    The itoys will never see real multitasking. Apple is bringing iOS style multitasking to osx with lion this summer.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The OS hasn't fundamentally change so no. On an aside, what exactly are you missing with Apple's system? Give me some examples of how Apple's system is lacking compared to other tablets, and I don't mean the method of switching apps.

4. whyhellojoe macrumors member

does it pain you not to have some apps supporting saved state and some not and it's pretty much a gamble that while you're doing that one important thing on an app that someone doesn't call you otherwise it's hasta la vista. apple should make this a global thing rather than depend on developers to implement "saved state" support

5. mkivsupra macrumors newbie

Like the last post said, what type of "multitasking" are you looking for on a 10 inch screen?

And what is "real" multitasking?

Two tiny apps side by side? Three really little bitty apps side by side? (not even going into how counterintuitive this would be with apples already well built system for users and developers having only 2 resolutions of apps)

You've got a pretty well working system right now. Fast app switching. Easy to use UI for app management.

Remember that even though this is a revolutionary product... It's still a mobile device. Mobile devices have purposes and uses due to their inherent constraints.

Not to mention... Having a dual core processor isn't the end all be all answer to "multitasking", the technical concept of multiple apps open at the same time requires more amounts of RAM. Not just a fast processor.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

It is much more efficient (and usually not that difficult) for developers to add proper state saving to their apps than it is for Apple to support generic state saving. The only way for the OS to save an app's state is for it to save the entire contents of the app's RAM, even if only a tiny bit of that is stuff that can't be recreated by the app. App-specific state saving can save precisely what the apps needs to save and nothing extra.

7. eastercat, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't care about killing your battery, jb the ipad and use backgrounder or another multitask enabler. If you like the long battery life on the ipad, you stick with Apple's modified multitasker.
    The lack of real multitasking, as you put it, probably had more to do with battery life than processing power. Apple needed several selling points for their tablets: portability, battery life, ease of use, etc. Mimicking a notebook computer, however, was not one of them.

8. whyhellojoe macrumors member

i getcha. i always thought that the app's saved state is sorta like "pausing" the entire thing and shelving it in the background sorta thing instead of just a portion of it.. while the idealogy behind it is good, i've had a cumbersome experience with some apps with this implementation. downloads would "time out" on some apps etc..

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Atleast its much better then honeycomb.

With just the 5 recent apps

10. MRU Suspended

MRU

Do people know the difference between hardware and software?

Apple introduce new hardware with same software. Until new software emerges in form of iOS 5, multi-tasking remains the same...

11. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

iPad does and has always done multitasking for it's own Apple built in apps (playing a mp3 whilst browsing the web)

Apple does not support multitasking of 3rd party apps, and not sure they ever will, or not for a few years anyway.

Playbook is the only one I've seen so far that does multitasking.

12. 314631 macrumors 6502a

You won't be doing much multitasking with the paltry 256mb RAM anyway. :D

13. kultschar macrumors 6502a

All I want is a better file system for document working and maybe small downloads via Safari.

Sure this will eventually come in iOS5.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's an iOS question not an iPad question. The hardware isn't the issue, the OS is. And no, apple is not about to change how they do multitasking on iOS just after they released iOS 4 with those APIs.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This has nothing to do with Apple. Its the developers responsibility to implement this in their app. There are plenty of docs in apples documentation to show a dev how to do this.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yes it does. Its in the developer documentation how to enable it. Any third party app can multitask. I'm listening to Pandora while playing on Mac Rumors on my iPad.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

When Apple first introduced multitasking I thought it was a stupid way to do it and they should implement "real" multitasking. However, after studying what they've done and how it's implemented I have to say it's an incredibly elegant solution and brings all the benefits of multitasking but keeps battery life under control.
    Far from being a half assed solution, I think it's the best multitasking implementation of any mobile / device OS

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure they do. That's the whole deal with iOS. I mean they showcased Pandora running in the background while doing other tasks back when they were highlighting multitasking in iOS.

Its not the same preemptive multitasking that most modern OSs employ but I guess apple thought that phones and tablets don't need the same type. Given the UI of iOS only having one app open at a time. This kind of makes sense.

19. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

The ignorance around here is bewildering :(

20. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Indeed it is, with people thinking that programs that save their state, and stop are actually multitasking.

Crazy isn't it?

Audio apps I guess if the exception.

Note: I'm not saying I want proper multitasking at all, I'm just saying we should not let Apple pull the wool over people's eyes and attempt to redefine what multitasking means.

If you employed staff in a shop and as soon as you looked at one of them the others all froze in their tracks, you would not call them multitasking.

I don't care it does not do it. Just call it something else.

21. blow45 macrumors 68000

yawn, talk about beating a dead horse...

22. ehoui macrumors regular

Admit it, you don't know what "multitasking" is...

23. blow45 macrumors 68000

So save state, THE proper multi tasking that is, the one that's coming to mac with lion, is actually inferior to "real" multi tasking which of course means having the app take 20% of the cpu and 30% of the mem in the background for no other reason than it doesn't know how to save state and preserve resources.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not but apple provides APIs so apps that use those APIs do execute in the background, i.e., multi-task.

Again my example of Pandora is a great example. Its running while I'm surfing, or emailing. If that is not multitasking then what is

25. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No need to guess. Multitasking is available for all audio apps. Do you know what the other Multitasking APIs are?

I'm not claiming that iOS is perfect - far from it - but I don't hear of any drawbacks to the current Multitasking framework from iOS users that I meet.